Zwift and iPad confusion

rock_bus
rock_bus Posts: 35
Zwift is beginning to make me feel like a Luddite so need your help!
Finally sorted out cadence and speed sensors and connected to my Garmin 510.
Zwift app downloaded on my iPad.
But now can’t connect speed and cadence sensor to Zwift.
I thought as the Garmin was Bluetooth it would connect?but I’m now thinking I need some sort of ant+ dongle to connect to my iPad?!?
These seem very expensive, but much cheaper one available for laptop so might need to switch to that.
Can anyone confirm if above right, what I do need and/or if I’ve just lost the plot!

Also, if anyone can confirm cheapest option with links to what I need that’d be awesome!

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Lots of information here.

https://zwiftblog.com/ios-faq/
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    You need to pair the sensors in Zwift on the iPad, you don't connect via the Garmin. So if your sensors are ANT+, you will need an ANT+ connection on the iPad.
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    Sell the Ant+ sensors and get yourself some dual Ant/Bluetooth ones. Much cheaper than getting a dongle for your iPad.
  • sh3p
    sh3p Posts: 98
    yup garmin is ant get the powertap ones they are duel
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Im a bit confused here! Garmin will not natively talk to ipad as one is ant+ and one is bluetooth
    Garmin is not needed for zwift, it is your smart trainer that communicates with your ipad.
    What trainer are you using? Mine is a tacx which transmits and receives in both ant and bluetooth and works fine with my ipad...
  • It’s just an ordinary simple turbo trainer so that’s what I need to use the Garmin sensors for.

Going to look at a dongle for laptop first I think and see how that goes
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Rock bus wrote:
    It’s just an ordinary simple turbo trainer so that’s what I need to use the Garmin sensors for.

Going to look at a dongle for laptop first I think and see how that goes

Wasting your money, just get some bluetooth/ANT+ sensors such as the Wahoo Tickr heart rate strap. Zwift works far better with bluetooth via an ipad anyway.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    Get a set of Wahoo sensors/another BT sensor brand.

Can't link Garmin to iPad.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    I got this which is a ant+ bridge to Bluetooth. Your iPad can then connect to your sensors via Bluetooth and it will all work.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac