Handlebar help wanted

flashes
flashes Posts: 229
edited December 2017 in Vintage bikes forum
I am trying to source some suitable handlebars for my 1946 RO Harrison, I can't ride with anything lower than saddle height, these are close but still to low. Looking for lightish, period butterfly style bars, did the exist?
IMG_0755.jpg

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    rather than changing the bars, you could simply raise them

a quill stem extender might do it though it might make them too high, or get a new stem
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • flashes
    flashes Posts: 229
    I think that might look a bit odd. It has a long ride to complete next year, so I think comfy bars are the answer....
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    don't think butterfly bars existed that far back - bear in mind the normal position is fairly flat, they're intended to give variety of position rather than additional height

i'd think bbars will look more out of place than extending the steerer, but it really doesn't matter, just do whatever works, no one else cares what it looks like

for instance dutch commute bikes, with their high bars look very different to what you see most uk commuters riding, they're not 'odd', just different

there're pictures of different bars here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_handlebar it might give some ideas
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Tazzy
    Tazzy Posts: 10
    You could try,
    - To reverse the handlebar. Left hand to the right hand side. It would raise the bar but not sure is the grip position will be comfortable.

- To find a narrower and high rise handlebar.

It is a great looking bike..
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Most bars are flat or have little rise. Try a shorter stem or a stem with some rise in it. What you are trying to do is though is make a bike fit when it sounds like you actually need a roadster.

Given the ammount of seat post you have exposed your frame us too big or you have too much bend at the knee on the down stroke. It is possible the frame is too big. It possibly is not that the bars are too low.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.