Anyone Wearing Neck Warmers /Buff?

itaa
itaa Posts: 61
edited November 2017 in Commuting chat
was cycling tonight and the chill really got my face/neck area finally.
Thinking about getting one of those neck warmers/buff's , has anyone wore one? How are they? are they actually useful or just a gimmick?
a cheap one can be had for like £2 , while a good merino is about £20 ( btw I really love my other merino stuff so wouldn't hestitate paying 10x more if I also get superior performance ).
Are the cheap ones decent/good for the odd time or ?
maybe a suggestion for something nice & Good quality?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd rather have a couple of cheap ones rather than one expensive one. I can't tell the difference between the many I have.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Essential bit of kit this time of year, not too fussed about the quality (mine come as event freebies mostly) but a really cheap one I got from a tri is too short.

Have a few, then you can stick one over your ears when the going gets really cold.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I have a couple but they rarely get used. If it drops below freezing I'll put one on but its the first but of kit to come off once I warn up. It needs to be pretty cold for me to wear one for more than 15 minutes.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Rapha merino neck tube, hat thingy. Bloody marvelous things.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    An essential item for winter, the cheap / free ones work just as well has the expensive ones
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yes. Keeps neck warm, but also helps stop cold air getting into the lungs at the start of the ride, which is a bugger for the asthma.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    cjcp wrote:
    Yes. Keeps neck warm, but also helps stop cold air getting into the lungs at the start of the ride, which is a bugger for the asthma.

I don't get asthma, but I do set off with the buff over my mouth and usually over my head and ears like a balaclava - they are thinner than caps. I pull it down to my chin once I warm up and my breathing is heavier. I always use them on winter mornings. They are a bit like arm warmers, not necessary for the whole ride, but easy to remove once you no longer need them.
  • I have two, but not needed them yet this autumn.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I often use them as a Bandana under the helmet in the summer to soak up the sweat. Not thought to use them on the turbo but I'll give it a go.

If it's bitterly cold I'll have one over the top of my head and down over the ears. Then I'll have another one round my neck and over the chin.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I using a buff already, they are very versatile and great at single figures.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Wiggle have got the Ale ones for £7

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ale-tubular-camo-head-cover/
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    cougie wrote:
    I often use them as a Bandana under the helmet in the summer to soak up the sweat. Not thought to use them on the turbo but I'll give it a go.

If it's bitterly cold I'll have one over the top of my head and down over the ears. Then I'll have another one round my neck and over the chin.

This. I think they're pretty much the best thing to wear under a helmet in winter except on the very coldest days when you might want something with a bit of windstopper fabric on it.
  • itaa
    itaa Posts: 61
    Very cool, Thanks guys :D Ordered some cheapo one to test it out, Than I realised I have a sewing machine and I can just buy some good merino/cashmere sweater from local thriftshops for a few coins and make my own merino buffs for nothing :D
    1 XL sweater should be enough to make at least 3 or 4.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Yeah, when it is below 5 degrees I’ll wear one.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    yup - It's one of the first bits of extra clothing I shuv in a pocket/pack when the weather turns chilly - just having one of those around my neck really warms things up.
    I have got a fleece one - but it needs to be really cold for me to wear it - the lightweight material ones are plenty good enough until there's ice on the ground.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have several of varying lengths and thicknesses, including one with the thin stuff at one end and polartec fleece at the other. Essential and versatile things any time of year.
  • Yep, great bit of kit, essential to be fair this time of year. Frosty one this morning so I had mine pulled over my head/ears and chin with just my eyes and nose poking out!

Managed to collect a few over the years, think they breed at the back of my cycling kit cupboard :)
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've got loads they're brilliant.

Haven't broken them out yet though, not cold enough.

I normally have one round my neck, and I've got one that I cut into three to cover my ears, normally worn under a cap. Very rarely over my mouth, they restrict my breathing too much and sweat my face up.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Buffs are brilliant. Got loads of them from the freebies that came with magazines through to a windstopper fleece one which I use skiing/boarding. Tend to use one round the neck (two if it's really cold) and then one doubled over as a skull cap (or a Pearl Izumi thermal runners cap) under the helmet.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I've been carrying a really light one with me since beginning of September when I got caught out with a 3 am ride... it's always snuggled into top of my rack bag just in case.
    around here the police and council have started giving out hi vis buffs, which I like the idea of, mainly cos I could do with a slightly thicker one!
    I've never been able to use one over my mouth though, always restricts me too much.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...