Lit and unlit road map?

cheese_toastie
cheese_toastie Posts: 35
edited January 2018 in Tour & expedition
Does anyone know if there is a road map what shows which roads are lit and unlit? Recently during mild autumn evenings I've found that evening rides are okay for me as long as the roads have street lamps. Where I live in Oldham I can ride to Burnley and back (about 50 miles) on relatively quiet roads that are lit but other destination like over the Pennines or Peak District are mostly out of the question because they are unlit.
I have a Garmin now that I can put a GPX file route into and would like to do some rides specifically for night riding, there are so many roads in the country side that I haven't been on yet. I suppose I could check them out during the day but it would be handy to know which main A and B roads are lit before I create a route for the evenings.

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    You could probably get to Leeds on lit roads going via Todmordon, Heben Bridge, Halifax but I guesss it would be busy.
  • Webboo wrote:
    You could probably get to Leeds on lit roads going via Todmordon, Heben Bridge, Halifax but I guesss it would be busy.
    Yeah I have been to Sowerby Bridge on that road, I was wondering about Lymm, Northwich and Middlewich in Cheshire. They have main roads to them but wondered if they're lit, I can check this out during daytime at weekend tbh, but wondered if there was such a map that highlighted lit roads handy for cyclists. Thanks
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Have you considered contacting the local council? They will have maps with street lighting on. Whether they are available to joe public is another thing...

So for example, your last list of towns on a possible route are all in Cheshire East, council HQ is in Sandbach. http://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/home.aspx Highways or Planning would be my guess...

PP
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    There's so many good lights around now that I'm fine with unlit roads - we did use to manage with the crummy evereadys back in the day but £20 on ebay gets you a lamp that will do nicely.
  • I've recently started making routes using Google Maps then once done I can click on any point and check using Streetview if there is road lighting on roads I'm not sure about. Once done I can copy this route onto the Garmin Connect course maker. It takes ages but I only go on big rides out of my area about once a month