friday partying like it's 1899

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,556
edited November 2017 in The bottom bracket
'ning

cafe, wfh, seemingly endless webexes clogging my diary for the day, my slim reserves of patience are gone, i just want to kill

after extensive research, i'm definitely finding mrs gale sexier than mrs peel
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    May have had rather too much ale during birthday drinks - but it was fun

Today is no work, so off for a run in a minute, then off for a ride with some pals after I’ve done the school run. Basically no time at home as the kitchen rework starts today.

Later is dropping the eldest off at football, then pub time
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    think I need to clean the bike ..... it kept failing to change down today ... still I'll look at it as cadence training.

Finally Friday .. the missus is looking forward to wine and chocolate later ..... me ? .. I left my banana at home, I cant wait to go home and eat it
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    What is it about me trying new pedals and badgers trying to kill me?!

Went out for a decent XC night ride, first time on SPDs on a mountain bike (I've ridden them on my touring/gravel bike a bit recently) and a fecking badger leaps out from the side of the track, turned along side me and skimmed my front tyre. Bloody thing got away without a scratch.

Two years ago I was night riding, first time on road clipless and two badgers came hurtling down a lane as I was 'sprinting' into the bottom of a climb. By the time I worked out what they were in the dark the front one had turned sideways, I lifted the front wheel and push the back wheel right over it. I was expecting to come back round 20 minutes later to find a badger sliced in half in the road but the bugger was gone.

I think I might just stick with flat pedals on mtbs, aside from the massive decline in performance on technical stuff I think I should be resisting the persecution of badgers from an environmental standpoint...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    Belated happy birthday to TLW - you kept that one quiet yesterday.

Dropped Stropteen off at school early for the start of her mock GCSEs and now training it into town. Legal are going to get it with both barrels today after dropping a non standard contract riddled with tax problems on us last think yesterday saying the customer was due to sign today. We shot a load of questions back that we needed answering knowing they wont be able to answer. It saves me having to say 'feck off' to their faces.

Might pop over to cake stop later on to deal with the recently formed unholy alliance of bald midgets with chips on their shoulders :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Oxoman, do you work at that General Foods / Kraft Foods / Mondelez / Jacobs Douwe Egberts / whatever it's called this week plant in Banbury? With the wind in the north we can sometimes experience that classic aroma.

Finished work-work yesterday ahead of a week away in Madeira, swopping one miserable cold island for one which at least will be warmer, so today is sorting out jobs domestic before rooting out the shorts and sandals, inappropriate socks optional.
  • Christmas is great for insomniacs, its only three sleeps away!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    orraloon wrote:
    Oxoman, do you work at that General Foods / Kraft Foods / Mondelez / Jacobs Douwe Egberts / whatever it's called this week plant in Banbury? With the wind in the north we can sometimes experience that classic aroma.

Is that the one that I get a big whiff of when heading up the M40 to Cov?
  • Finished a million jobs, or it feels like it.

Washed motorcycle because it was filthy. Also washed the titanium bike because tomorrow, I may just ride it down the road and get coffee while the punters are in perusing our property. First actual bicycle ride in months.

Cooked a proper roast beef and veg this evening, with a bottle of shiraz. 8)
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    edited November 2017
    Finished a million jobs, or it feels like it.

Washed motorcycle because it was filthy. Also washed the titanium bike because tomorrow, I may just ride it down the road and get coffee while the punters are in perusing our property. First actual bicycle ride in months.

What moto-sickle do you have?

Good morning so far - been to the gym, prepped posh clothes for Sunday, just having a quick coffee before heading off to bang my head against a wall.

Have sounded out a friend about getting transferred out of this place so let's see what happens.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb
    Yawning my way through the day. Got wet this morning due to unadvertised rain. Bloody sun is out now.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    McNing, Happy belated day of cake TLW. Something major has broken overnight currently sat with no work to do watching major incidents pop up in my inbox (I don't deal with them) So far we have nine as its pretty much killed the company this morning so its great!

Much joy from me in the canteen this morning as fried mushrooms were available so many were scoffed along with choice cuts of pig. I have a coffee an some form of pastry an very little to do so today should prove to be satisfactory.
  • hopkinb
    Step83 wrote:
    Much joy from me in the canteen this morning as fried mushrooms were available so many were scoffed along with choice cuts of pig.

Food of the gods. :D
  • Matthewfalle
    Mushrooms coated in ground black pepper then fried n lard. Freakin delish but a heart attack on a plate.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Today involves more metal, finishing touches to PP's and a night in the pub.

Tomorrow shall be chainsaws!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    Christmas is great for insomniacs, its only three sleeps away!

I like it. I think the girls will be turning into insomniacs soon.

Yeah Happy Birthday TLW. Seano is usually the tart that is always looking to see who's birthday it is. Perhaps that's why we missed it.

You get a whiff going up the M40 and it definitely is an 'aroma' as you approach Coventry. As for coffee and stuff like that; nah. However, you can thank you'r luck stars your not heading into Leicester. Every cloud...

Me doing work me.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Mushrooms coated in ground black pepper then fried n lard. Freakin delish but a heart attack on a plate.
    Mushrooms cooked in lots of butter with lots of pepper and used as the filling to doorstop sarnies. White crusty bread with yet more butter. Mint.
    Slacking at work today, but my productivity levels are between me and my line manager. And he doesn't really know what I do.
    Long weekend coming up as I am going to a friend's wedding on Monday. Strange, but stranger things have happened.
    Beer later, and most of the weekend, I suspect. Laters.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Finished a million jobs, or it feels like it.

What moto-sickle do you have?

Good morning so far - been to the gym, prepped posh clothes for Sunday, just having a quick coffee before heading off to bang my head against a wall.

Have sounded out a friend about getting transferred out of this place so let's see what happens.

Now an entirely dull BMW R1200R. I had the very last of the 1200S models before this and it was a whole lot better.

Don't do sports bikes any more, neck and back won't cope. :(
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Matthewfalle
    Talking of mushrooms, I had deep fried breaded mushrooms with garlic mayonnaise the other day - an utterly brilliant return to the 1970s

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • haydenm
    I've just been informed that the gender pay gap in Dumfries and Galloway is -13.4% male to female, I have dutifully informed the OH that she is getting the beers in tonight for a change.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    Talking of mushrooms, I had deep fried breaded mushrooms with garlic mayonnaise the other day - an utterly brilliant return to the 1970s
    Did you have Angel Delight for pudding?

I'm on a train back to civilisation after spending more time than is healthy in the NEC. I hate that place. Beers tonight.
  • pinno
    HaydenM wrote:
    I've just been informed that the gender pay gap in Dumfries and Galloway is -13.4% male to female, I have dutifully informed the OH that she is getting the beers in tonight for a change.

My OH gets paid more than me and she doesn't buy me beer, I think that's discrimination.
  • Matthewfalle
    Veronese68 wrote:

I'm on a train back to civilisation after spending more time than is healthy in the NEC. I hate that place. Beers tonight.

Tiramisu actually, the Queen of desserts. Old fashioned big slice of Black Forest gateaux is the king of desserts.

Imagine Plates bringing you big slices of Black Forest Gateau. Oh my word.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno

Yeah.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Ive started some crazed mushroom debate. Im with you on that Matt, don't they still roll these out at wedding buffets? I need to raid the local Iceland for a pack of 100 Jaffa cakes, I'm sure they will do breaded mushrooms
  • haydenm
    Pinno wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

My OH gets paid more than me and she doesn't buy me beer, I think that's discrimination.

Of course, it's systematic gender bias endemic in the the way we teach kids. Men always by ladies drinks/food. Disgusting gender inequality. I've had to struggle with it all my life (despite being paid more than the OH, finding a job much easier and generally not being subject to mild sexual harassment at work). Dreadful

Do you think this is enough to push for a 13.4% pay rise at my London based company? Seems legit to me...
  • Matthewfalle
    Pinno wrote:

Yeah.

Saw her just now at the school. So lovely.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Veronese68 wrote:

Tiramisu actually, the Queen of desserts. Old fashioned big slice of Black Forest gateaux is the king of desserts.

Oh the combination of Black Forest flavours takes some beating,that has also made me think of past delights of the time such as Romantica and Viennetta.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    harrods used to sell imported sarah lee devil's food cake with buttercream icing, in the frozen food section, don't think they're made any more, modern equivalent is a pale imitation not worth bothering with

as a plus they put a couple of blocks of dry ice in the bag to keep it cool on the way home, cake and bubbling misty drinks, 60s kid heaven
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • hopkinb
    Bought some mushrooms. Going to fry them in butter, then finish them with a dash of brandy, a handful of tarragon and a couple of tablespoons of soured cream. The onglet steak from Turner and George should provide an acceptable accompaniment, as should the bottle of Gevrey Chambertin I've dug out of the "cellar".
    Onglet and bavette are the value cuts for fans of quickly cooked steak. I have no connection other than being a very satisfied customer over many years, but Turner and George are a top notch supplier. I also have a useful 10% off code, should anyone be interested. I expect rural Bb'ers have their favourite farmers..
  • Matthewfalle
    hopkinb wrote:
    Bought some mushrooms. Going to fry them in butter, then finish them with a dash of brandy, a handful of tarragon and a couple of tablespoons of soured cream. The onglet steak from Turner and George should provide an acceptable accompaniment, as should the bottle of Gevrey Chambertin I've dug out of the "cellar".
    Onglet and bavette are the value cuts for fans of quickly cooked steak. I have no connection other than being a very satisfied customer over many years, but Turner and George are a top notch supplier. I also have a useful 10% off code, should anyone be interested. I expect rural Bb'ers have their favourite farmers..

Edwyn does a lovely range in donkey if your fancy a bit more "budget"......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.