Insurance Replacement Quandary

guy.spartacus
guy.spartacus Posts: 321
edited November 2017 in Road buying advice
Afternoon all - i recently had my bike nicked from my garage and am going through insurance to source a replacement.

I have been offered £1734 credit to spend at Wheelies (and can top this up if need be)

or £1450 cash (max value per bike is £1500 on my policy, less £50 excess)

I am looking at the Giant Defy Advance 1 2018 model - listed at £1849 on Wheelies (which is overpriced compared to elsewhere)

Or I could take the cash and get a similarly/better specced B'Twin Triban

Or, my brother in law has contacts at Specialized and Ribble that may be able to get decent discounts

What would you do?

The Spesh bikes don't jump out at me and you don't seem to get anything more for the additional price.

The Giant bikes are really nice but overpriced on Wheelies - have sat on one at my local shop and sizing is the same as my stolen bike.

The Triban aren't available to sit on anywhere.
Road - '10 Giant Defy 3.5
MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
BMX - '04 Haro Nyquist R24 (don't judge me)

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Take cash, buy second hand.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Shame about the stolen bike. That defy looks nice, I'd take that or look at which cannondale I could get for the £1450 cash maybe, some good deals about on pauls cycles or wherever
  • HaydenM wrote:
    Shame about the stolen bike. That defy looks nice, I'd take that or look at which cannondale I could get for the £1450 cash maybe, some good deals about on pauls cycles or wherever

Last years Supersix Evo 105 or Synapse Carbon 105 available on Pauls for £1450

Or the CAAD12 Ultegra
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
  • trek_dan wrote:
    Take cash, buy second hand.

Thanks - I'm a bit wary of second hand bikes TBH
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
  • Have a look through https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/giant/road-bikes , plus Pauls Cycles, you might find £1450 cash goes further.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Right - I can get 25% off Specialized which seems to be a Tarmac Elite for £1500 or a Roubaix for £1650

Still plugging for the Giant to be honest - anyone got a Shimano FC-RS510 crankset? Seems to be fairly low spec for an Ultegra/105 mix
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Right - I can get 25% off Specialized which seems to be a Tarmac Elite for £1500 or a Roubaix for £1650

Still plugging for the Giant to be honest - anyone got a Shimano FC-RS510 crankset? Seems to be fairly low spec for an Ultegra/105 mix

With 25% off the Specialized are decent TBF....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Why are the Tribans not available to sit on - no stores have stock, new model or something?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Svetty wrote:
    With 25% off the Specialized are decent TBF....

Yeah - but the specs are similar with the discount to the Giant

Also, the 2017 Giant Defy Advanced 1 is available on Pauls for £1600 and seems to have full Ultegra where the 2018 has 105 shifters, cassette, non-series crank and Ultegra derailleurs.
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Why are the Tribans not available to sit on - no stores have stock, new model or something?

No stores have any to sit on - seems to be mail order only
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    You can change chainset, 105 chainsets are cheap as chips, can be had regularly for as little as £70.

Don't overthink the quality of this stuff, 105 and Ultegra etc all work about the same, some weigh less of course. All of them look crap, but if you like one flavour of crap over another you can pick based on that.
  • mfin wrote:
    You can change chainset, 105 chainsets are cheap as chips, can be had regularly for as little as £70.

Don't overthink the quality of this stuff, 105 and Ultegra etc all work about the same, some weigh less of course. All of them look crap, but if you like one flavour of crap over another you can pick based on that.

Granted - I'm just wondering why the 2018 Defy Advanced has a non series crank. Slightly annoying to have to change up a brand new medium-high spec bike TBH
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    mfin wrote:

Granted - I'm just wondering why the 2018 Defy Advanced has a non series crank. Slightly annoying to have to change up a brand new medium-high spec bike TBH

My Scott Solace disc has fc rs-500 cranks (so a further step down from the fc rs-510 on the Defy). Otherwise mines kitted out with full Ultegra. I will get around to changing the crankset, but it's absolutely fine in the meantime. I wouldn't let a non-series crank put you off.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    mfin wrote:

You are aware the 2018 Defy Adv. does not have full hydraulic brakes, rather the mechanical/hydraulic Giant Conduct system, whereas the 2017 model has the full Shimano RS505's? Along with the RS510 non-series crankset the bitser mix and match is to get the bike down to that price point. If you want a matching groupset, consider the 2017 model, if you can find one in your size.
  • DJ58 wrote:
    You are aware the 2018 Defy Adv. does not have full hydraulic brakes, rather the mechanical/hydraulic Giant Conduct system, whereas the 2017 model has the full Shimano RS505's? Along with the RS510 non-series crankset the bitser mix and match is to get the bike down to that price point. If you want a matching groupset, consider the 2017 model, if you can find one in your size.

Did exactly this - found the 2017 Defy Adv 1 on Pauls Cycles in my size for £1,600 and pushed the button

Should be here by the end of the week
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora