Trek Madone 9.9 vs aero bike with discbrakes

bikerlorrie
bikerlorrie Posts: 11
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I want to buy a new bike and I can't decide :D
I am Looking for an aero bike and i like to have a bike which will last long! This is the reason that I can't decide between a Madone and a bike with discbrakes.

I have the opportunity to buy a new trek Madone 9.9 for a very sharp price. The bike has following features:
-madone H2
-new dura ace di2 9150
-bontager aeolus 5 or zipp303

For this price, I can buy a canyon aeroad cf slx disc 8.0 di2 with following features:
-canyon aeroad
-ultegra di2 disc
-Reynolds strike SLG 62mm

What would you do?
The madone is worth 2 canyons and has a dura ace instead of an ultegra but it doesn't have discbrakes.
The madone is more beautiful than the canyon but i Think that discbrakes are the future!

Give me your opinion please!

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Well, do you need disc brakes now? If the answer is no, then ask yourself if in the future you are going to or likely to: (a) Put on a load of weight, (b) cycle or live where descents are steeper or longer, (c) go out in conditions that are much worse ...if there's no yes to a/b/c then you still don't need disc brakes and can pick either one with no worries.
  • For me, it would be the Trek without question....but that would be based on the fact it's out n' out race thoroughbred.

Given you want discs, sounds like you're not into (road), racing- as they're not sanctioned yet so maybe you don't need the Dura Ace and Aelous/ Zipp niceties.

Still, the Trek is a hell of a lot more bike for the same money.
  • i Think that discbrakes are the future!

Have you ridden a bike with enhanced rim brake tracks?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    What are you riding now ? What do you like or not like about it ?
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    Disk brakes are the future, they're just not quite ready yet.
    Currently disk brakes add an average of 600g to a bike. People say it's nothing, but it's actually the difference in weight between a fantastic climbing wheelset and a garbage low end OEM set.

Also over the next few years I think they are going to improve disk brakes in terms of weight and maybe axles even possibly dropouts. That might mean new standards, I'd stay on rim brakes for now unless you are thinking about doing hardcore descending. Wait until everything is disk, then wait another 3 years IMHO.
  • mfin wrote:
    Well, do you need disc brakes now? If the answer is no, then ask yourself if in the future you are going to or likely to: (a) Put on a load of weight, (b) cycle or live where descents are steeper or longer, (c) go out in conditions that are much worse ...if there's no yes to a/b/c then you still don't need disc brakes and can pick either one with no worries.

Thanks for your opinion!
    A. I am not planning to put on a load of weight! haha
    B. I live in Belgium, I do not plan to go living in the Alps etc. but I do go to the Alps or pyrenees every year for cycling trips.
    C. Conditions aren't going to be much worse in the future I think. I still have my current bike to use in winter conditions or by rain!

I love to have a bike which is trendy and new, the model-Madone is already some years old. This may mean that there is going to be a new version in 2018 or 2019 which will have discs and that is giving me a doubt!

But your reply helps me! ;)
  • For me, it would be the Trek without question....but that would be based on the fact it's out n' out race thoroughbred.

Given you want discs, sounds like you're not into (road), racing- as they're not sanctioned yet so maybe you don't need the Dura Ace and Aelous/ Zipp niceties.

Still, the Trek is a hell of a lot more bike for the same money.

I haven't entered a race yet but I am planning to do so next season!
  • i Think that discbrakes are the future!

Have you ridden a bike with enhanced rim brake tracks?

No I haven't!

This may minimize my doubts!
  • Fenix wrote:
    What are you riding now ? What do you like or not like about it ?

I'm now riding a BMC, I like my bike but I want a more aero bike!
    And I want a bike which will be good and cool for some years!
  • ZMC888 wrote:
    Currently disk brakes add an average of 600g to a bike. People say it's nothing, but it's actually the difference in weight between a fantastic climbing wheelset and a garbage low end OEM set.

Also over the next few years I think they are going to improve disk brakes in terms of weight and maybe axles even possibly dropouts. That might mean new standards, I'd stay on rim brakes for now unless you are thinking about doing hardcore descending. Wait until everything is disk, then wait another 3 years IMHO.

Thanks for your opinion!
    You may be right! Disc brakes can become better in the future!
  • ZMC888 wrote:

Thanks for your opinion!
    You may be right! Disc brakes can become better in the future!

Everything can become better in the future. It's called progress. Disc brakes on bikes have been around for decades and they're absolutely fine as they are. Of course they'll get lighter and maybe more technically advanced in the future but you could level that comment at every part of a bicycle.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Disk brake bikes are absolutely fine to buy now. The worst that will happen is you'll have to get someone to build some wheels for you as you choose the wrong size axle.
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    I had a similar dilemma, Cannondale Synapse with disc brakes, and Bianchi infinito CV without. I just bought the better bike i am not regret it at all.
  • Hands down the Canyon. An aero race bike with discs versus a much much more expensive aero race bike without discs.

Sure, the Trek may be the more "pro" version at the price point. But I'd say the disc bike.

Don't forget, Giant just released the Propel with disc brakes also. And that's probably cheaper than a full on pro race Trek.

I'd say ride all those 3.

Also, depending on your budge, if you spend a ton on an aero bike but can't have decent wheels.........it kind of defeats the point a little.

Some more "pro" aero bikes come with shite wheels on purpose since they know the owner will put on what they want.

But that canyon coming with some deepness already is great.
  • Hands down the Canyon. An aero race bike with discs versus a much much more expensive aero race bike without discs.

Sure, the Trek may be the more "pro" version at the price point. But I'd say the disc bike.

Don't forget, Giant just released the Propel with disc brakes also. And that's probably cheaper than a full on pro race Trek.

I'd say ride all those 3.

Also, depending on your budge, if you spend a ton on an aero bike but can't have decent wheels.........it kind of defeats the point a little.

Some more "pro" aero bikes come with shite wheels on purpose since they know the owner will put on what they want.

But that canyon coming with some deepness already is great.

The Trek also comes with some pretty decent wheels also though?

The OP mentions they're considering starting racing. Are discs sanctioned in amateur racing in Belgium?
  • Good point.

I just saw he posted the depth of the wheels for the Canyon but not the Trek. That's all I was going on.

At our local Trek store in the US, I haven't seen one in a showroom with anything really deep or super nice on them. Europe may have nicer wheels on some Madones.

Same with Giants in the US. You don't really find any stocked or available Propels with the nice SLR wheelsets.

I love how all those Treks have the same letters in all the names: Madone, Emonda, Domane.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Without doubt the Madone, been lucky enough to ride both the Madone and the Aeroad, to be fair they are both awesome bikes - visually and aesthetically though I prefer the Madone.
    OP mentioned the Madone will be with Aelous 5 (50mm deep) or Zipp 303 being 45mm deep.

Now that being said, Mrs W would say the Aeroad because its a very good bike, good wheels, good groupset, still looks good and is considerably cheaper. But the heart would be saying Madone.

I do know what you mean about a potential new version of the Madone coming out next year. If you think you need disc brakes then go that option, personally I wouldn't, but its your choice. I'm more than happy using rim brakes on twisty Welsh Mountains in the winter. I do have two hydro disc brake bikes (two trek domane's) - the braking is better, but the braking on my rim brake bike is also absolutely fit for purpose.
  • I think the fundamental point in all of this is (as I understand it), he's able to get the Madone with the vastly superior spec' for the same price as the Canyon.

If it were a case of "should I spend twice as much on the Madone over the Canyon", I'd say absolutely not.

But....for the same price? No brainer.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    canyon and spend the difference on some nice cycling trips.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • canyon and spend the difference on some nice cycling trips.

There is no difference to spend- he's getting them at the same price isn't he?
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Canyon.

Madone is a piece of s**t. Sent 2 back. Horrendous build quality and a b!tch to work on.

Disc brakes are the future, don't care how many purists will say they have no place on road bikes.

I've used the best groupsets /pads / wheels and rim brakes still have nothing on a middle of the line set of hydro discs.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • quote="Ryan_W"]Canyon.

Madone is a piece of s**t. Sent 2 back. Horrendous build quality and a b!tch to work on.

Disc brakes are the future, don't care how many purists will say they have no place on road bikes.

I've used the best groupsets /pads / wheels and rim brakes still have nothing on a middle of the line set of hydro discs.[/quote]

Can't comment on the quality of the madone but personally think it's ugly as sin. However, I'm in total agreement on the performance of disc brakes. Been riding discs for around three years and continuously over the last few months and thought as the weather was nice the other day I'd go out on the s-works tarmac. Fulcrum racing xlr's with swisstop pads and I can honestly say the braking was utter crap compared to discs.
    I used to always think the brakes were pretty good but compared to the discs on my rose or de rosa they are inferior in every way.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • YiannisM wrote:
    I had a similar dilemma, Cannondale Synapse with disc brakes, and Bianchi infinito CV without. I just bought the better bike i am not regret it at all.

• I think the fundamental point in all of this is (as I understand it), he's able to get the Madone with the vastly superior spec' for the same price as the Canyon.

If it were a case of "should I spend twice as much on the Madone over the Canyon", I'd say absolutely not.

But....for the same price? No brainer.

Thank you for your opinion! :)
    I can indeed buy the bikes for the same price.
  • canyon and spend the difference on some nice cycling trips.

Yes!
  • Canyon!

Trek is really - and i mean really bad - at dealing with warranty issues. Would never buy one of their bikes again after being dealing with them for warranty issiues on bottom bracket and cracked fork on my Madone.
  • Matthewfalle
    canyon and spend the difference on some nice cycling trips.

Yes!

Apols - I thought from the early posts he put up that the Madone was double the price or something silly.

Still the Canyon though,

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Whichever you end up buying, don't use it for your racing debut!
  • Matthewfalle
    mamil314 wrote:

Why? It's there t be used.

I really can't understand comments like that.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    mamil314 wrote:

If he buys the disc bike, then that's not likely anyway. At least not in the forseeable..