Purchased recommendations

Boss_001
Boss_001 Posts: 6
edited December 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hello.

I could use a few good tips.
Run single track in Denmark and my local track has approx. 130 altitude meters.
Also taking on other tracks, they often resemble my home track.
Drive pt. Not in the alps or similar.

Have a Giant Talon, which I really like, thought it's fast and has a good response but is a bit harsh when I take the downhill a bit aggressively. As well, a little tired and sore on longer trips.
Therefore, I consider one full, have Giant Anthem or Giant Trance in mind.
What do experts say; Should I stay on my hardtail or upgrade to a full, if yes, Anthem or Trance?

Cheers Henrik

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I've owned both the Anthem and Trance. Both are excellent bikes. It's a tough choice, Anthem is a superb xc bike and just eats up the miles. It's not half bad as a trail bike as well. I'd definitely have another.
    The Trance is slightly less of a mile muncher but a bit better on the more gnarly downhills. I probably wouldn't have another Trance as I'd have a Transition Scout if I wanted a harder hitting trail bike of that type.
    It's worth considering the Anthem SX which is sort of in between the Anthem and Trance.
  • Hello. And thanks for your post.

I do not drive the gnarly downhill but more common singletrack, yet.
    love to drive fast down but is just not that good yet.
    This is one of my favorite tracks:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p10UGBVWsRU
    And it's not me riding you'll never see me in lycra :-)
    I would definitely take a look at Anthem SX, thanks for the tip
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Sounds like the Anthem SX could be just what you need. It's got slightly slacker geometry for better stability but not so slack it will make climbing more difficult.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm with RMSC here, the AnthemX would seem ideal for your usage.

There are other good XC/Trail bikes that would fit the bill, the Anthem has the excellent Maestro (aka DW link) rear suspension but it's feel isnt for everyone.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Another vote for the Anthem from me.
    The newer models have 120mm suspension and should be ideal for the type if terrain in that video.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Thank you for all the inputs, I'm going for an Anthem :-)
  • However, I have encountered a question, as a rider at 177 Cm tall, should I choose 27.5 (I drive on my hardtail) or 29 "?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Height makes no difference to wheel size.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    Frame size and geometry will be your concerns with regard to how you feel on the bike.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • I have a Medium hardtail with 27.5 wheels, i realy feel like home on that. :-)
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Boss_001 wrote:
    I have a Medium hardtail with 27.5 wheels, i realy feel like home on that. :-)

Check on Giant's website for sizing most frames I'm a large but Giant I'm a comfortable medium