new D lock suggestion?

defever
defever Posts: 171
edited November 2017 in Commuting general
Hello fellow commuters,

I had a weird experience today (one of those days where things just don't go well...!).

I went into a town centre this afternoon for few errands and decided to lock my bike on a metal rail along the road (20mph zone). Whilst I was faffing with the cable to loop through the rail and front wheel, I dropped the lock bit with all my keys still attached, bounced and sort of rolled to the road. "crunch!" one car ran over the lock. "crunch!" another one, "crunch!" two buses... I lost count how many cars obliviously ran over it until the light went red! crazy!

It was Onguard Pitbull Long Shank (I think) D lock with silver cable. I've had it for over three years and successfully kept my bike secure. When I eventually recovered the lock from the road, the outer plastic casing was in bits, but I was actually impressed how the inner metal core was still intact (and all my keys unbent)! I used the lock to do my errands but it does look in sorry state and I think the integrity is compromised.

So I'll need a new D-lock + Cable combination lock.

I think the main criteria are:
  • D-lock + cable combination (as I'm familiar with the type)
  • Sold Secure Gold Standard
  • Lighter the better (to carry in my back pack), but without compromising the Gold standard
  • Doesn't have to be "long shank" version, maybe "standard" length is plenty.
  • Not "short" shank

What do you guys use?
Kryptonite comes up very often on Google seach. Good enough for what I'm looking for?

Happy cycling!

Comments

• Hi defever,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Sounds almost like something out of "A series of unfortunate events".

Rather than lug a relatively heavy/chunky lock around, I prefer to leave a lock locked to a bike rail at each of my usual jaunts (local pub, gym, work, library). I then keep a light combo-cable lock in the backpack in case I need to secure the bike somwhere else (supermarket, post office etc) for a quick stop.

I've been using an Abus Granit D-lock (the exact model/version escapes me now) at my work bike 'shed' and another at the pub all year round (for over 4 years now) and neither of them have seized, jammed, failed once. I use a Kryptonite NY at gym and then a Fahgettaboudit mini at the library.

They're all gold rated but the Abus locks are a fair bit lighter than the Krytonites.

Hope this helps and stay safe.
  • defever
    defever Posts: 171
    Thanks very much Rockhound.

Valid comment on leaving the locks to usual spots. In my case I haven't yet established my usual spots; week by week my place of work site changes, places to shop changes and living in one town and working in another town makes this approach rather complex. So I think in my case I'll need to carry my lock, or at least for now until I have the opportunity to establish such routine.

I'll look into Abus and Kryptonite and decide among those two or another Onguard.

Thanks once again and happy commuting!
  • Evans have got the Abus Granit x-plus 540 on sale at £67, that would be my recommendation. Generally well reviewed

I've got the older Granit but would replace with this one if i was buying
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • I think abuse, kryptonite then onguard in order of preference / security. I think I read some very negative comments or reviews about onguard somewhere. Their gold rated wasn't that good.

You do know that the gold rating would only apply to the different lock part. Cables are just so weak that it's really just a visual deterrent to an opportunistic, casual scrote passing by. The d lock is the only thing worth using. Think about other means to secure your front wheel. Perhaps removing it and locking with the long d lock or those locking axles?