No drive when pedalling

concorde
concorde Posts: 1,008
edited November 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Just out on the bike and bang, pedals just spin forward when trying to climb. Wasn't even on a steep climb and power down was pretty modest.

Question is, I'm guessing freehub has gone? Does that mean a replacement or can it be fixed? Pedals spin forward completely freely no intermittent catching or anything.

Is it difficult?

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends on the hub, and what's broken. Maybe.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Some are easy peasey, other will require a new hub. Dep nds on what freehub it is.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I take it you've not just snapped and lost your chain ?
  • concorde
    Lol, no chain in intact and spinning the cassette nicely.

I can't find what hub it is anywhere on the web.

Bike is a giant trance 2 2017. I have sent an email to where I got it from and to Giant. Giant rarely reply though.
  • cooldad
    Take it to bits and have a look.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • concorde
    cooldad wrote:
    Take it to bits and have a look.

Might have to!
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    As it's a 2017 model it will still be under guarantee, so take it back to where you bought it and let them sort it out.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Could be the pawls bunged up with mud and dust which is easy to fix but there would more than likely be a progressive failure in that case. Assuming you did not cycle through a bag of cement. As I recall you did not maintain your aircraft very well either.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • I reckon the pawls are stuck, or broken. If the former, soak in oil for a few hours, if the latter, New freehub time.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Has it got much colder where you are? If so then the grease may have become more solid holding the paws.

You need to remove the freehub. On some modern wheels eg nukeproof, crank Bros, easton and mavic, only the seal holds it in place so can be pulled out by hand. in older shimano and maybe new shimano, it is a hollow bolt.

If bike is less than a year old then surely is guarantee call, not normal wear and tear. I've had shimano freehubs for many years and huge miles 6k+ without a failure.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Depending on the Giant model and year they're either bottom of the range DT Swiss or more likely Formula hubs.
    It's unlikely to be a broken pawl or gunked up as neither would go that suddenly. There's at least three paws and it's unlikely all three would go at once. More likely the ratchet has broken away from the hub body which happened to my last Formula hub and a Hope Pro2.
  • concorde
    Bought bike November 2nd so 2 days out of warranty when this happened!!

I'll pull it off and have a look inside when I borrow the tools to do so.

Chain whip I think I need, not sure what else.
  • cooldad
    A cassette tool. Plus whether the freehub will pull off or needs tools.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools