Winter clothing (softshell or jersey)

zefs
zefs Posts: 484
edited November 2017 in Road buying advice
Hello, I am trying to figure out which combination would be the best option to go for my winter clothing. I want wind protection + warmth, around 5c weather and doing mountain descends. Don't need waterproof.

1) dhb Base layer + Classic Windproof Softshell
2) dhb Base layer + Aeron Full Protection Softshell
3) dhb Base layer + long sleeve thermal jersey + windproof jacket (packable)

I already have 2 long sleeve winter jerseys but never tried the softshell jackets.
Also, would the aeron softshell worth double the price over the classic one for the weather conditions I described?
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Those merinos look pricey to me. Do Planet X do cheaper ?

I have the full protection softshell and it's my go to for when it's really cold. It's a nice bit of kit.

If it's warmer you can lower the zip. I think the cheaper one won't be as warm and it's easier to unzip if you're hot. If you're too cold there's not much you can do.
  • zefs
    I already have 2 planet x base layers which work fine I suppose (they are short sleeve).
    Will any of those dhb softshells require an extra jacket on chilly descends? I suppose you only wear those with a base layer and or extra jersey?
  • I went out last weekend in a similar setup to option 3 - I find the the flexibility of layers suits my tendency to run hot as the ride progresses.

However we are all different
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Pretty sure I was just in a long sleeve base and the full protection softshell alone on the coldest days last year. No extra kit for descents but I'm not in the Alps in winter. I think about three miles is the longest descent round here.

If you run colder you could add a jersey underneath and get a cheap raincape as an extra layer over the top but I suspect that would spend most of the time in your back pocket
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    I can recommend the DHB baselayer. Worth every penny. Of course mine was a competition prize but I know others who see well oppressed.
  • Millets are doing Peter Storm long sleeve merino base layers at £20 each at the moment. I've used the Peter Storm merino short sleeve tops for several years and found them to be good base layers that stand up to repeated wearing and washing.

I was out this morning when it got down to 0 degrees and the one bit of kit I found invaluable was my Wiggle packable gilet on top of my Helly Hansen Lifa/merino baselayer and windproof jacket. For me that extra layer is just right for keeping warmth where I need it and if it gets too hot it's easily stuffed in a pocket.

I would definitely suggest adding a packable gilet to your list. They're (relatively) cheap compared to a new jacket and very versatile particularly for mountain decents.
  • zefs
    I went for the Classic dhb Softshell in the end, it's really nice, with only base layer for inner (Helly Hansen Lifa).Weather was 10c and the combo kept me warm enough but I imagine I will need either an extra jersey or the outer windproof jacket when doing mountains. I guess the combo without the jersey will be better since I get colder because of sweat after the climb?
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Youll likely just need a windproof over that as it gets colder I was out at the weekend in 4-6c with LS base layer, softshell and a bin liner style gilet, arms were a bit too nippy.
  • zefs
    That's where the breathable area is, below the arms that's where I was cold mostly :P