Camera recommendations

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited November 2017 in Commuting general
Not looking to start a debate on the pros and cons!

I'm after a front and possibly rear camera for use at day and night. Ideally some commuting features would be good, eg auto recording in case of an accident etc. I like the idea of the Fly ones, but not the price. Does anyone have any alternatives to suggest? Preferably not the cheap bullet cameras as something with usable quality especially in low light is what I'm after.
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I was going to say the Fly's, but understand the cost issue.
    3 questions:
    1) How long do they need to last between charges
    2) What's it actually for? Reg plates I guess
    3) What front mounting arrangments do you want - Handlebar or helmetcam ( weight...)

I've got a Shimano CM1000 which runs at 720p @ 120fps, but isnt' good at night, and after a year only lasts for 1 hour of battery. The aldi fly6 knock off (unlikely you'll find one) seems ok quality at 1080p@25fps, and ok at night, but between the two I feel "comfortable" in capturing what would have happened in an accident enough for an investigation if my lights are running at night.

Many highly rate the Gopro Sessions for quality at £150, but that's still £300 of cameras for front and back....
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • I have a Garmin virb and a go pro session. I find the Garmin better on the rear as it gives a wider viewing angle and the go pro is better front as it has better picture stability. Plus it is less obtrusive under my k edge dual mount.
  • Wrath Rob
    Duration - at least 2.5 hours, should give me enough time for the commute both ways, even with a longer ride home.

What's it for - evidence including regular plates in case the worst happens. Not fussed about recording the ride for anything else.

Mounting - bars.

I have a Garmin, so maybe the virb is a good call. I'll take a look.
  • Aldi fly 6 clone is still in store round this way, Lancaster area a few stores I think still have them.

If you ever travel up the m6 past Lancaster the Carnforth store is about 5 minutes from junction 35. Just saying probably no help.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    The Aldi Clone doesn't record much in the dark ... but I suspect that's a problem with most cameras - needs an IR mode really.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Your runtime is going to be the limiting factor. My commute can take me 90 mins one way if I'm feeling lazy, and I really struggled to get a camera that would do that reliably in cold weather.

I'd say spunking for one of the fly cams is probably your best bet, followed by the garmin.

Gopro's need manually wiping even on loop mode, so despite being a great camera my HERO Session is a right PITA.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • wolfsbane2k
    Slowbike wrote:
    The Aldi Clone doesn't record much in the dark ... but I suspect that's a problem with most cameras - needs an IR mode really.

I've found it to be ok in street light lit roads, granted not great in rural darkness with some plank with full beams comes up behind, as it gets glared out until it the reg plate gets a flash from the rear light to burn through the headlights & illuminate it, once it's within about 10 m.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • slowbike
    Slowbike wrote:

I've found it to be ok in street light lit roads, granted not great in rural darkness with some plank with full beams comes up behind, as it gets glared out until it the reg plate gets a flash from the rear light to burn through the headlights & illuminate it, once it's within about 10 m.

I don't get much street lit roads ... ;) I can see a bit because I run a Smart R2 alongside it - which is just as well as the Aldi-clone turned off mid commute on friday morning - I'd've been really annoyed if that was the proper one - just mildly irritated as it was the cheap clone. I charged it on Tuesday, rode home Tuesday eve, in and back on thursday then mid ride in friday it turned off - so that's sub 2hr runtime on flash with camera - I don't think it was flat, but I charged it before the dark ride home anyway.
    I must fit a 3rd rear light ...
  • wolfsbane2k
    Slowbike wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

I don't get much street lit roads ... ;) I can see a bit because I run a Smart R2 alongside it - which is just as well as the Aldi-clone turned off mid commute on friday morning - I'd've been really annoyed if that was the proper one - just mildly irritated as it was the cheap clone. I charged it on Tuesday, rode home Tuesday eve, in and back on thursday then mid ride in friday it turned off - so that's sub 2hr runtime on flash with camera - I don't think it was flat, but I charged it before the dark ride home anyway.
    I must fit a 3rd rear light ...

Mines done that 3 times now since I've got it - I've heard it beep off, wonder WTF, stop, turn it back on and it continues to work perfectly. Reviewing the video showed that it stopped recording about 1 minute before it turned off ( comparing with the helmet camera), can only think it's crashing, the powering off.
    If you don't hear the beep though, and think your covered, it's very annoying.

I don't use mine as a light - I've got 2 others, and just use the camera part.
  • I've been looking to get cameras myself - heard way too many stories of colleagues/friends being injured by inattentive/impatitent drivers to not get somewhat paranoid that I'm also on the hit list somewhere. I'm leaning towards the SJCam SJ6 but still doing my due diligence so haven't pulled the trigger just yet. Am also hoping to bag a good deal on 2 of these come black friday. Constantly praying I don't get mowed down before then, or even after then, tbh!

Anyone got anything to say on the SJ6, good or bad...?
  • Wrath Rob
    Yeah, I think Black Friday for a Fly12 deal might be the best call.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Fly12 is on sport pursuit this morning for £180.

Tempted myself for that.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • One of the most important things is quality. No point running for ages and recording loads if you can't pick out the number plate.

On that score the Hero Session 5 is brilliant.

Run time is about 90 minutes, so take a spare lead into work. It does loop but you will need to delete the files. That's fine, just get a £17.99 64GB card. That will comfortably do each day, then delete, etc.

https://quik.gopro.com/v/y4FgpXYIiY/

That's the type of footage you get. Even that isn't as good as the SD card version, of course.

The stabilization feature really nails it for me.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Oh, btw, Halfords £249 less BC discount.
  • wolfsbane2k
    One of the most important things is quality. No point running for ages and recording loads if you can't pick out the number plate.

Run time is about 90 minutes, so take a spare lead into work. It does loop but you will need to delete the files. That's fine, just get a £17.99 64GB card. That will comfortably do each day, then delete, etc.

That's the type of footage you get. Even that isn't as good as the SD card version, of course.

Yeah, the dynamic range on those is damn good & it's a major differentiator.
    How do you find editing video from it? It's one of my biggest issues - sufficient computer grunt (2013 laptop) to not sit there for years just to crop the video.
  • One of the most important things is quality. No point running for ages and recording loads if you can't pick out the number plate.

Yeah, the dynamic range on those is damn good & it's a major differentiator.
    How do you find editing video from it? It's one of my biggest issues - sufficient computer grunt (2013 laptop) to not sit there for years just to crop the video.

I have a 4 year old iMac, mid spec I guess then, but it copes very well. TBH, unless I'm doing a family video, it's mostly for transferring off the card onto the HDD until the police have had a look. Not that it happens very often!

I took it down the rapids at Centerparcs on the weekend and it was bloody brilliant. And way way better than the old Silver 3 I had.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    A camera should be made to produce footage like those traffic gazers that allow clear eligibility of number plates despite night time, rain and full beams, even if b/w. Maybe it exists, i am just not aware
  • slowbike
    mamil314 wrote:
    A camera should be made to produce footage like those traffic gazers that allow clear eligibility of number plates despite night time, rain and full beams, even if b/w. Maybe it exists, i am just not aware

I'll give mine a stern talking too then ... that should make it do it ;)