Bike for my boy £400 from this site?

concorde
concorde Posts: 1,008
edited November 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi getting wheels from following website as it's through cycle scheme

Question is which one out of a £400 budget. Not sure if he'll end up using it as much as would like so don't want to spend too much! He's 13.

Any help much appreciated. I can try him on most for size at Tredz.

https://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/mounta ... ice%20DESC

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    650b wheels (otherwise known at 27.5") is the most common standard these days, so probably makes sense to stick to that and avoid the old tech 26" wheels or the probably bigger than you want 700c (otherwise known as 29")

The gears look pretty standard across most of those, mainly a mix of Shimano Acera so not much to choose on that score.

Most have cable operated discs, which are poor in comparison to hydraulics, especially if they arent SRAM or Tektro. The GT Agressor has Shimano hydraulics which should be excellent and the class leader here.

Forks will probably be heavy on all of them. If you can find one with air forks that would make a huge difference, both because they are lighter but also because they can be tuned to get full travel at his weight (springs are normally designed for heavier riders). I didnt look at them all but I didnt see one with air forks, or with Rockshox forks. SR Suntour do some reasonable forks but they also do some rubbish. I cant really see one with obviously better forks than the others but worth having a look in more detail than I can be bothered.

The Giant ATX might not be a bad mix but has cable brakes - at least they are Tektro which is one of the better makes for them.

I dont know if that helps at all. If you could see them, I would check how heavy they are as a really important factor. The lighter the bike, the more likely he will ride it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ignoring the fact you are committing the criminal offence of tax evasion, for a £400 bike its rarely worth using a cycle to work scheme as the extra costs and inability to go for offers means it often means a worse bike for the money than paying cash.

For example the Carrera Vulcan is £370 with damped forks and hydraulic discs paying cash and is legal, the Voodoo Bantu is £10 cheaper or you could get the Hellcat wth cable discs for £270.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • concorde
    Yeah I thought as much as the above. Personally I'd like to see him on a Voodoo Nzumbi but don't think it'll fit him for long
  • concorde
    Cheers I wasn't keen on the cycle scheme. Is my Mrs that wants to put it through that, HR told her to do it in work.

What's a BC card?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Yes - I dont know much about Cyclescehemes etc and if they make sense but best value at that price is generally Boardman or Carrera or Voodoo from Halfords/Cycle Republic or something from Decathlon or maybe a Calibre from go outdoors.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    At that age I'd buy used. It'll probably last no more than a year before he grows out of it. With a used bike you'll lose less in depreciation plus you'll get a much better bike for the money.
    I'd also go 26" as you'll get a lot more for your money.
  • concorde
    Cheers all. Was looking at the Carrera Kraken today. 50 quid more but seems to be worth the extra 50 bucks in Halfords. Would be paying cash.

I have considered 2nd hand but it's the hassle of browsing that I could do without to be honest. Hard enough looking on proper websites and in shops lol
  • concorde
    Just spotted the calibre two two! Pisses over this lot!
  • The Rookie
    Are you for real?
    The Kraken is a lot better than the two.two
    27.5 v 26
    32mm XCR forks v XC28
    Formula wheels v Quando hubs

No contest.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • concorde
    The Rookie wrote:
    Are you for real?
    The Kraken is a lot better than the two.two
    27.5 v 26
    32mm XCR forks v XC28
    Formula wheels v Quando hubs

No contest.

Ah right. I noticed wheel size but didn't really care about that. Thought the RS would be better than the Suntour forks. Wheels are wheels, he's only a kid lol.

Better drivetrain and tyres on the two two?

Perhaps stick with the Kraken then
  • The Rookie
    On average RS are probably better than Suntour, but the XCR is much better tha. The XC28, the rest of the specs are much of a muchness but that fork makes it a no brained in my mind.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    The XCR fork *used to be* coil sprung but now (according to the Suntour website) it is an air spring fork which should ensure that it is better than the coil XC28 from RS.

I would double check though that the XCR fitted to the Kraken is in fact the air sprung version as Halfords product descriptions aren't entirely clear on the subject (they do describe the fork as hydraulic, but I've seen hydraulic associated with other Suntour forks in the past as I think the damper was hydraulic?). Certainly from the images online its not immediately evident that it is actually an air spring in there.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • concorde
    larkim wrote:
    The XCR fork *used to be* coil sprung but now (according to the Suntour website) it is an air spring fork which should ensure that it is better than the coil XC28 from RS.

I would double check though that the XCR fitted to the Kraken is in fact the air sprung version as Halfords product descriptions aren't entirely clear on the subject (they do describe the fork as hydraulic, but I've seen hydraulic associated with other Suntour forks in the past as I think the damper was hydraulic?). Certainly from the images online its not immediately evident that it is actually an air spring in there.

Pretty sure it's not, looked at so many bikes recently that can't say 100% but pretty sure the Kraken had pre load when I checked.
  • The Rookie
    The new XCR is 32mm stanchion, much stiffer than the XC28, its available as coil OR air as the Suntour web page makes clear (Left side: Air spring / Coil with Preload adjuster).
    Stiffer and with a better damper than the XC28, much better.
    http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/compon ... -5611.html
  • concorde
    Coil on the Kraken
  • Calibre two two, never heard of them ever!
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    woodboy76 wrote:
    Calibre two two, never heard of them ever!

Well now you have.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009