Carrera Virtuoso crankset upgrade

kieran240885
kieran240885 Posts: 36
edited November 2017 in Workshop
Hi there. I was wondering if any one can help me. I’m pretty new to this cycling game. I have bought myself a Carrera Virtuoso 2016 model as my first bike. Has any one successfully swapped the crankset and BB for an upgraded one? Something like a Shimano 105 setup. Is it possible? I know the current B.B. is a cheapo sealed square taper. I want to move to at least an octalink rather than square taper.
Thanks

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Hi there. I was wondering if any one can help me. I’m pretty new to this cycling game. I have bought myself a Carrera Virtuoso 2016 model as my first bike. Has any one successfully swapped the crankset and BB for an upgraded one? Something like a Shimano 105 setup. Is it possible? I know the current B.B. is a cheapo sealed square taper. I want to move to at least an octalink rather than square taper.
    Thanks

If it's a square taper then it is almost certain that the frame has a standard threaded BSA type bottom bracket. If so you can take out the old square taper and replace it with a Shimano Hollowtech 2 BB (Tiagra, 105, Ultegra you choose). Obviously you will also have to spend on a new HT2 chainset

You will need some tools tho if you want to do it yourself - a crank puller to get the old cranks off and a special spanner to remove the square taper BB

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-to ... rd|31719UK

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-to ... -prod14914 if it's an octalink BB
  • Thanks. I wasn't sure if you could put ‘decent’ gear on it with it being an entry level bike.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    You can fit basically anything you want to it - mechanical only as I am presuming it isn't electronic friendly.

A bicycle frame is a bicycle frame at then of the day - I've had £200 bikes end up running full Dura Ace as things get upgraded on good bikes and used to replace knackered stuff on trains/communter bikes.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Thanks

Other than the fact that it might look cooler and might save a few grams, I can't think of any compelling reason why changing cranksets would be an 'upgrade'. Unless the current one is worn or damaged in some way, then you are just going to be spending money for very little return.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Thanks

Other than the fact that it might look cooler and might save a few grams, I can't think of any compelling reason why changing cranksets would be an 'upgrade'. Unless the current one is worn or damaged in some way, then you are just going to be spending money for very little return.

+1 I run the same bike as a winter hack, as Imposter says you would gain nothing.
  • Thanks for reply’s. Like I said I’m pretty new to all this. I was thinking for when it wears out. Rather than replacing like for like thought I may as well upgrade. I was led to believe the square taper was a bit naff.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Thanks for reply’s. Like I said I’m pretty new to all this. I was thinking for when it wears out. Rather than replacing like for like thought I may as well upgrade. I was led to believe the square taper was a bit naff.

Nothing intrinsically wrong with square taper. I had a Campag Mirage groupset on my Mercian bought back in 1996. The square taper BB was still going strong when I sold it back in 2010 after 10,000+ miles.

It's a bit more of a faff to remove and refit chainsets but the basic engineering of the square taper BB is sound with its inboard bearings that are less prone to rusting and ingress of crud. I'm afraid they have fallen foul of the progress in BB technology.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Rather than do it yourself, I'd take it down your LBS

Mine offers a bottom bracket swap for about £20 and that includes re-facing if needed.
    Where the square taper BB is inside the tube, the external faces that the new BB screw up against may not be 100% parallel.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I was led to believe the square taper was a bit naff.

99% of all track riders - at all levels up to and including Olympic/World Cup - are still on square taper. There's nothing 'naff' about it.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Moving to Octalink would be even more stupid then to H2.....
  • Matthewfalle
    Square taper rocks - bomb proof, perfect for buzzing around, training, communtin' and dirt cheap to replace.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • So would I be better off replacing with a Shimano square taper and fsa crankset then? Maybe I’ve been watching too much gcn and their brand snobbery has rubbed off on me.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    How far ahead are you planning ? Chances are there are other things that will go first.

Don't get hung up about your bike it's the rider that makes the biggest difference.
  • Matthewfalle
    ? Maybe I’ve been watching too much gcn and their brand snobbery has rubbed off on me.

Yup - I would say this. You're not alone though - there is someone else on here who definitly believes the hype.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Yeah at first I thought they were really helpful. I think the maintenance vids they do are. But there is definitely a whiff of “if it’s not the best/lightest/most aerodynamic/top of the range then it’s no good” about them.