Defy Advanced 3

kirkee
kirkee Posts: 369
edited November 2017 in Road buying advice
Any thoughts on the Defy Advanced 3 2017? I've seen they're discounted online at the moment. I currently ride a 6 year old alloy rim brake bike so not experienced with modern carbon or disc brakes, on road bikes at least. Spoke to a rider ref his disc braked bike on a club ride recently, he said they over powered his tyres and prefers rim brakes! Any opinions on the composite disc Defy or TCR appreciated, thanks.
Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will

Comments

• zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    I have the 2016 model, they are great bikes (great value). If you plan on racing and need more aggressive position the TCR would be a better choice. For long/comfortable rides the Defy is better.
  • kirkee
    I wouldnt be racing that was brief and 15 yrs past! I try to do one weekend trip away to either Flanders or Roubaix so need a bike thats good to do the trips on and still a blast to ride generally. Both the TCR and the Defy disc bikes look like they would be ideal but the Defy 3 looks good value dep on what bike fits best. Also I would want to fit wider tyres like 28's. Ref the brakes Im about 90 kgs so I think disks should be ideal?
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • kirkee
    Thanks for the replies. Ill check them out at the local giant bike shop