Winter Shoes

j_mcd
j_mcd Posts: 473
edited November 2017 in Commuting chat
Has anyone got a pair of "winter" shoes or boots? Any recommendations out there?

Ideally want a warmer shoe than my normal shoes and some waterproofing would be really nice.

Tried on the Northwave ones today but couldn't get my feet through the Neoprene sleeve so they're a no.
Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
Planet X London Road - Wet
Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I wear Specialized Defrosters in the winter. I've preferred Specialized shoes for a while as they seem to fit me well and last a long time. Had my eye on a pair of defrosters for a while and managed to get them in a sale a couple of summers ago for £100 (they're normally more like £160). In a total downpour they won't keep your feet dry (as the water runs down your legs into them), but in my experience, with merino socks, they do keep your feet warm, even when they get wet. For year round commuting I really rate them.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I have a pair of Northwave Arctic Celsius (the original ones) and they are absolutely ace even at -10C.

I am sure the Specialized ones are just as good mind you. They are definitely a massive step up from overshoes, now I can use my summer socks even in winter! :-)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • graeme_s-2
    gabriel959 wrote:
    I am sure the Specialized ones are just as good mind you.
    I'm sure the Northwave ones are great too. The main thing is to find some that fit and that you can afford! :)
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    I'll be buying the Northwaves once it gets proper nippy.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Graeme_S wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    I am sure the Specialized ones are just as good mind you.
    I'm sure the Northwave ones are great too. The main thing is to find some that fit and that you can afford! :)

Yep, I usually use Specialized shoes, but I couldn't fit the Defrosters cheap enough so went for Northwave and have been really happy. My Northwave ones were also a £100 down from £140.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • graeme_s-2
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Yep, I usually use Specialized shoes, but I couldn't fit the Defrosters cheap enough so went for Northwave and have been really happy. My Northwave ones were also a £100 down from £140.
    I'd had my eye on them for years before I found them in a sale. I'm definitely a convert to winter boots though. Especially when it's both cold and wet.
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    Ryan_W wrote:
    I'll be buying the Northwaves once it gets proper nippy.

Try to find somewhere to try them on (Evans have them in) as the neopreme collar is very difficult to get your foot into. I couldn't manage it but that could just either big feet or user error.
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    gabriel959 wrote:
    I have a pair of Northwave Artic Celsius (the original ones) and they are absolutely ace even at -10C.

I am sure the Specialized ones are just as good mind you. They are definitely a massive step up from overshoes, now I can use my summer socks even in winter! :-)

FTFNW - a spelling mistake that still amuses me every time I wear mine. They must have changed the design as my only operational issue is keeping the flap velcro away whilst tightening up the cross-cord. Boots are great!
  • Forgotten I had the Celsius boots as well, didn't need them last winter, but will have them out this winter if it gets really cold. They're comfy and warm, and fairly waterproof. Maybe mine are a size too big but I find them fairly loose fitting, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as it allows you to wear decent socks, just something to be aware of. Sounds like they've altered the design too, as mine just have a cord on flap that you use to open close them, then velcro over that which very easy to get in and out of.
    Blog on first season road racing http://www.twhatley.com/
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Another vote for Northwaves here. Whatever you get, make sure they're roomy. You don't want them to be tight around your feet with a thick pair of socks. That kills some of the insulation and you'll still get cold toes!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Specialized Defrosters here. Managed to get a pair from Cyclestore earlier this year for £62!
  • I’ve been using Specialized Defrosters for a couple of years. They are superb, nice and warm, keep your feet dry, and they’ve got a wide toe box, so you can wear thick socks if needs be.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    towser44 wrote:
    Specialized Defrosters here. Managed to get a pair from Cyclestore earlier this year for £62!

Blast! Should have posted them in the bargains thread!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • towser44 wrote:
    Specialized Defrosters here. Managed to get a pair from Cyclestore earlier this year for £62!

I was just lucky to be honest, it was the last pair and happened to be my size, otherwise I'd have posted it.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    towser44 wrote:
    towser44 wrote:

I was just lucky to be honest, it was the last pair and happened to be my size, otherwise I'd have posted it.

Ah well. I've got a robot that searches the typical sites regularly for the best prices and have never seen them that cheap.
    Where did you grab them from?
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • towser44 wrote:
    towser44 wrote:

Ah well. I've got a robot that searches the typical sites regularly for the best prices and have never seen them that cheap.
    Where did you grab them from?

It was Cyclestore https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/ . Just checked my emails and actually paid £63.99 not £62 as I thought and it was back in July (Sunday 16th)

Sigma had them for £69.90 at the same time, but I'm sure they were out of stock when I bought the Cyclestore pair and they are still on their website but Out of Stock

https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Speci ... -2017/585W