Help on Cervelo

Mateusz
Mateusz Posts: 8
edited November 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone,

I have GT Grade alloy at the moment and I was thinking about buying more "classic" road bike on carbon frame.

I've checked bicycles from many brands, such as Bianchi, Trek, Eddy Merckx, Giant etc. and I found Cervelo R2 to be the most comfortable for me. I'm thinking right now if I should buy 2017 version with old frame on ultegra or 2018 version with updated frame on 105 in March next year. It's really tricky with those frames. I found info on the internet that 2017 R2 and R3 are sharing the same frame and it's basically a professional level. 2018 R2 and R3 frames look the same but are actually different and produced in different factory - that what's Cervelo claims. They also claim that 2018 R3 is now stiffer and lighter in comparison to 2018 R2. I don't understand this, because it seems that the old and new R2 are basically the same... It's really hard to find info on the new R2 on the internet but maybe you know something extra? What would you advise on this? Buy 2018 or 2017?

Also, that's a little off-top but can anyone say something about basso venta? I think it has slightly better price plus it's hand built in Italy but I cannot test ride it. How the frame is in comparison to R2? From what I know it falls under my category - race bike with not that stretched, racy geometry.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd go with the bike you've ridden and liked rather than one you haven't.

And I'd also go ultegra and 2017 rather than new model frame and 105. There will be bugger all difference.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Get the R2 on Ultegra with a decent discount; spend the saving on a wheel upgrade. Traditionally, at least, built-up Cervelos have come with cheap wheels. Definitely go Cervelo over Basso. But then I would say that, wouldn't I?

...I have something of a Cervelo habit. 4 of them at last count. Something should be done.
  • Thanks guys for your thoughts. It's really hard to find some comparison between bikes of different manufacturers. I guess I'll do the proper bike fit before buying to be sure about sizing.