Worth Upgrading this bike, or waste of money?

cbr shadow
cbr shadow Posts: 21
edited November 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm toying with the idea of upgrading my road bike for something new, but I'm wondering if the bikes I'm looking at would even be an upgrade or not. I like the idea of disc brakes, di2 shifting, and any frame technology (new carbon layup, BB stiffness, etc) that might have developed in the last 5-6 years.

I live in the San Francisco area and do a lot of climbing, steep and twisty descents, and spirited group rides.

Current Road Bike:
2012 S-Works Venge (almost completely upgraded all parts)
- Dura Ace 9000 Crankset (compact)
- Dura Ace 7900 brakes
- Ultegra 6800 groupset (shifters, front/rear DR, chain, cassette etc)
- 11/32 cassette
- FLO45 carbon wheelset
- Continental GP4000s ii (25c) tires
- S-Works Aerofly carbon handlebars
- Fizik Cyrano R1 Stem

What I'm considering:
- 2017 Cervelo R3 Disc Ultegra
- 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 Disc Ultegra
- 2017 Cannondale Supersix Evo Disc Ultegra
- 2017 Specialized Tarmac Race Disc

I think I could sell my Venge for a fair amount and buy any of the above (Cervelo or Specialized would likely require $$$ from my end)

Would it be worth it for me to upgrade? Would I see any big performance improvement from any of the above bikes? Most of the above are offered in a Di2 or eTap version as well.

I do really like my Venge, but want to see if I'm missing out on any useful new tech.

Comments

• ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    edited October 2017
    You’d be getting Di2 & Disk brakes for your money, can’t see any other measurable benefits despite what manufacturers maintain. Arguably the benefit of Di2 is slim. For me a move to disk brakes would cost a small fortune.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Unless you are a nervous descender and find yourself riding the brakes a lot, or otherwise feel that you really need more stopping power, I'd stick with the Venge and upgrade the groupset. Electronic shifting will add enjoyment, and might make you a bit faster by enabling you to be in the correct gear more often. I'd be surprised if any of the bikes you list (assuming a constant bike fit) made any significant difference to your experience. Granted the R3 will feel more comfortable (it's a much more compliant ride than the Venge).

Stick eTap WiFli on the Venge; it'll cost you less than any other choice and you'll get a kick out of a new toy. If you have budget left over, change the crankset for a matching Sram Red Quarq power meter.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    It depends what you want from your upgrade really.

You already have a very good bike, you're not going to find a new bike feels lighter or quicker... however, in looking at bikes that have Di2 and disc brakes you'll certainly get a bike that is different, even if it is arguable that it isn't actually much better.

I would suggest taking a test ride on one of them (or at least a test ride on a bike with discs, and a bike with di2) in order that you can see that different in this case is something you actually want.

Disc brakes are an excellent upgrade if you ride in wet/mixed conditions, and if you happen to ride on loose surfaces such as gravel. In dry conditions on good road surfaces there is very little difference though - feel is a bit different, arguably better, but your ability to stop is pretty much identical.

Similarly, di2 although by all accounts it does give great shifting, so does conventional gearing - the advantage again comes into its own in the wet as di2 shifting is unaffected by the cables getting wet and gummed up with road crud.

So the real question is whether you ride in the wet, and whether you will be happy to do so on your brand new bike? I would lean towards keeping the venge for best, and buying something with disc brakes for wet rides.