L'Etape

london-red
london-red Posts: 1,266
edited November 2017 in Commuting chat
So, has anyone signed up for L'Etape next year? I have, on the understanding that a cycling buddy would do the same, but this is now looking unlikely. Especially as it's sold out :roll:

Comments

• Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    Ah that's not ideal - was planning do to it again but hadn't signed up as it normally doesn't sell out until December. Might have to see if I can find a package deal.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • london-red
    Bikequin wrote:
    Ah that's not ideal - was planning do to it again but hadn't signed up as it normally doesn't sell out until December. Might have to see if I can find a package deal.

Yeah, I think there will be a few caught out by how fast it sold out!! Just booked a flight as well (£35 BA, using Avios that would have sat in my account doing nothing otherwise :D )
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    London-Red wrote:
    Bikequin wrote:

Yeah, I think there will be a few caught out by how fast it sold out!! Just booked a flight as well (£35 BA, using Avios that would have sat in my account doing nothing otherwise :D )
    I rode L'etape in 2014 and signed up to do it again this year (2017), but when I finally got around to booking flights and accommodation, I was being quoted about £400 per night for even basic rooms so I gave up and didn't end up going.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    i was surprised when a friend at work said it sold out immediately this year, he got his place via sportstours int I think
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • london-red
    itboffin wrote:
    i was surprised when a friend at work said it sold out immediately this year, he got his place via sportstours int I think

I'm not sure why it's been so popular this year. Maybe it's the route - it's certainly an interesting challenge, with four decent climbs and the gravel section adding a bit of intrigue. Also, Annecy is a decent spot to spend a few days, so might have helped. Or maybe they did a better job of marketing it. Who knows.

By the way, has anyone used Bike Box Rental in Kingston?
  • London-Red wrote:

Yes - absolutely fine - space to park which obviously helps and box was in similar nick to others I have rented - ie not brand new but still good enough. Would use again.
  • london-red
    RoubaixMB wrote:
    London-Red wrote:

Yes - absolutely fine - space to park which obviously helps and box was in similar nick to others I have rented - ie not brand new but still good enough. Would use again.

Nice one - thanks.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    London-Red wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I'm not sure why it's been so popular this year. Maybe it's the route - it's certainly an interesting challenge, with four decent climbs and the gravel section adding a bit of intrigue. Also, Annecy is a decent spot to spend a few days, so might have helped. Or maybe they did a better job of marketing it. Who knows.

Beautiful area to ride in; the views from the Aravis are stunning. JG, Boffin, G66, Attica, Rich, IP and a couple of others were there in 2010, although I think we descended the Colombiere the way the Etape comes up.

I seem to recall the group splintering on a warm day up the Croix Fry...

But the main takeaway was not to ride back up the Aravis from the non-La Clusaz side straight after a heavy lunch...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I did it this year. It was well run and it was cool to say you did what the pro's did (considerably quicker) a few days later. However, it was over priced for what you got, especially when you consider Flanders or the Maratona is around 1/3 the price for a similar style event. The Maratona included a Casteli jersey and gilet plus a load of other swag. The Etape swag was a multi-tool, some free samples and that was it. Must be an ASO tax...
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.