Forum home Road cycling forum Road general

Cold Feet

OrkneyladOrkneylad Posts: 104
edited November 2017 in Road general
Now that the chill is starting to set in, I'd very much like to know if anyone has any recommendations to keep the toes from going white, then blue.

Yesterday's ride was numbing, even with overshoes. So today I went without overshoes, but with offcuts from a Mylar emergency blanket wrapped around the front of my feet....this seemed to be a marked improvement.

So would tinfoil be better, or plastic bags? Or when it gets really cold, overshoes AND Mylar/foil/plastic etc?

Any previous experience in dealing with this, I'd very much appreciate your wisdom. :D
«1

Posts

  • Better overshoes or overshoes with Castilli toe thingies underneath.
  • redvisionredvision Posts: 2,615
    Overshoes will help keep your feet warm but need to be paired with some warm socks - merino.

    As someone who suffers from raynauds I have terrible issues with both feet and hands. One trick though which might not appear obvious is to make sure your core is warm enough. If you are not wearing enough layers your feet and hands will get cold as warmer blood moves to heat your core.
  • supermurph09supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I'd start by making sure your shoes aren't too tight.
  • grenwgrenw Posts: 785
    Northwave boots - size up if you feel you need to get thicker socks in there with plenty of wriggle room
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 12,717
    If it is really cold I go with merino socks and 2 layers of overshoes. Better overshoes might work but I already have multiple pairs and theorise that they will trap a layer of air in between. Could be nonsense but seems to work.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • OrkneyladOrkneylad Posts: 104
    Cheers guys, yes perhaps thicker overshoes but the Bioracers I have are pretty thick already, perhaps I'll try those AND Mylar when it gets truly glacial out there.

    My core was pretty warm, Roubaix tights & thick jersey plus Climajet wind jacket, wee bit sweaty TBH. Being something of a tightwad I'd be loth to go for footwarmers at >30 quid a pack, but you reckon those are the nuts?

    Good tip re: shoe tightness, I'll slacken that down tomorrow & see if it helps too.

    cheers!
  • I suffer with cold feet so my system is a pair of waterproof/windproof merino lined socks (Dexshell but there are other brands) when temps dip towards 10 degrees, add a pair of insulated windproof overshoes as temps drop towards 5 degrees and then add a second overshoe, insulated Goretex, when temps head towards zero.

    It works for me but anyone would need to ensure that wearing such socks in your usual shoes is comfortable as any additional bulk could affect bloodflow and be counter-productive.
  • Keep the rest of your body warm enough so your blood actually goes to your feet.
  • step83step83 Posts: 3,867
    Tape up the vents on your shoes, also helps keep the wet out a bit. I wore my cheapy BBB heavy duty overshoes at the weekend with some merio socks. cant say my feet crossed my mind ones. You might want to try a cotton overshoe under the other if your struggling to keep them warm.
  • janwaljanwal Posts: 464
    Get a pair of Northwave farenheit (or centigrade if you use spd) .Superb winter boots. Use a pair of ordinary thicker winter socks. Way warmer than overshoes but don’t get overheated at all. It will be best money you ever spend.Five of my mates now have them aswell.I got the flouro yellow ones to be better seen in the winter days.
  • DeFeet Woolie Boolie socks are amazing. Worn with neoprene overshoes. The best socks I've ever worn and I no longer feel the cold in them.

    As mentioned above, make sure your core isn't getting too cold as a natural protection thing draws warm blood away from your extremities to save the core. I wore a softshell jacket and thermal bib tights in winter, doesn't have to be a cycling brand, I wore a hiking / mountaineering jacket.

    Another contributing factor to cold feet could be shoes that are too tight.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • joe2008joe2008 Posts: 1,919
    I've had great results with this stuff:

    http://www.boots.com/boots-chilblain-cream-35g-10016350
  • awaveyawavey Posts: 2,368
    I agree with the start on the core first, and never assume just because it feels warm, that you are covering it properly, because your body will take warm blood from your hands and feet to boost the core if it feels core temps are decreasing slightly, and the consequence is colder hands and feet but a core that feels warm enough, that just means your body is managing its temperature, not that its happy the core is warm and you just need to wear warmer gloves or socks.

    and in a cold head wind,you are getting hit on your front chest but also your back as the air you are moving through passes over you, and both can leech alot of temp out of you very quickly that you may not notice, because of this balance of trying to keep your core temp up.

    I mean I went out yesterday, still thinking it was mildish Autumn so had only resorted to arm warmers and knee warmers ontop of normal summer tops/shorts combo, and I felt instantly cold on my chest/back, then got into the ride,it seemed to warm up, but then spent most of the ride wishing Id taken my gloves with me. When I got back home changed out my cycling gear, I must have spent the next hour feeling chilled, just couldnt warm up properly till I started to put multiple core layers on,long sleeve top,short sleeve top, hoodie, and it slowly came back and my hands/feet warmed up again.

    so next time I go out if the weather stays like it is, will be long sleeve winter baselayer, and I if I stick with a short sleeve top, Ill definitely have a gilet too, and probably move on to roubaix 3/4qtrs.
  • ayjayceeayjaycee Posts: 1,333
    When it starts to get really cold, I always use a pair of silk liner socks under my normal long winter socks which do the job for me. When it gets really, really cold, i add a pair of neoprene Castelli Toe Things. As an aside, when the long bib tights come out, I also tend to drop using 'cycling specific' socks - they usually cost a lot more than 'normal' warm socks and they are covered up so I can't really see the point.

    Although the OP didn't mention hands, I would add that I also use a pair of fine silk glove liners in conjunction with my normal leather giro cycling gloves - again, just the job until it gets really, really cold when a pair of proper winter gloves make an appearance. That said, here in SW England, the really, really cold days seem to be getting increasingly rarer as the years pass.

    Like one of the other posters, my wife suffers from Reynauds. Although she's not a cold weather cyclist, she has a lot of problems with hands in particular in cold weather. A long time ago, she was advised to always make sure that gloves, socks, shoes etc. were warm when she first puts them on and it certainly helps her situation. She generally gives kit a quick blast with a hair dryer before putting it on.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • singletonsingleton Posts: 1,644
    Lots of things help:
    Undersocks, Merino socks, Tape up holes in shoes, insoles, tin foil in shoes, Overshoes - one or two layers.
    Or, just go and spend similar money on a pair of winter road shoes/boots such as Northwave Fahrenheit GTX
  • MTFU Orkney Lad, its not even winter yet
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 12,717
    MTFU Orkney Lad, its not even winter yet
    You been in Orkney lately?
    Their summer is London winter conditions. :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • OrkneyladOrkneylad Posts: 104
    pblakeney wrote:
    MTFU Orkney Lad, its not even winter yet
    You been in Orkney lately?
    Their summer is London winter conditions. :lol:

    hehe, Sloppy you really should come try a cycling holiday in Orkney, then we'll talk about Rule#5 and related issues. :D
  • bompingtonbompington Posts: 7,303
    Here in (only slightly north-)eastern Scotland - where the October temperature stats are pretty similar to the Northern Isles - I still haven't seen my longs since about March...

    ... just saying ;-)
  • lostboysaintlostboysaint Posts: 4,369
    What are longs?!

    ;)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • OrkneyladOrkneylad Posts: 104
    bompington wrote:
    Here in (only slightly north-)eastern Scotland - where the October temperature stats are pretty similar to the Northern Isles - I still haven't seen my longs since about March...

    ... just saying ;-)

    Good for you, personally I LONG for some Black Isle weather. You should also factor in the Westerlies coming in off the Atlantic, with the associated wind chill etc. You Southern numpties have it way too good. :wink:
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,232
    You should be plenty warm enough with normal socks and neoprene roubaix overshoes, Not used mine yet as it's only been down to -3 so far. Tape up the vents as well and don't wear your shoes to tight.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • OrkneyladOrkneylad Posts: 104
    oxoman wrote:
    You should be plenty warm enough with normal socks and neoprene roubaix overshoes, Not used mine yet as it's only been down to -3 so far. Tape up the vents as well and don't wear your shoes to tight.

    Yep I took the 'looser shoes' advice today, was indeed a bit better. The Mylar toe-wrap definitely seems to work!
  • navrig2navrig2 Posts: 1,558
    janwal wrote:
    Get a pair of Northwave farenheit (or centigrade if you use spd) .Superb winter boots. Use a pair of ordinary thicker winter socks. Way warmer than overshoes but don’t get overheated at all. It will be best money you ever spend.Five of my mates now have them aswell.I got the flouro yellow ones to be better seen in the winter days.

    This.
  • bompingtonbompington Posts: 7,303
    What are longs?!

    ;)
    Err, the opposite of shorts maybe?
  • bompingtonbompington Posts: 7,303
    Orkneylad wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Here in (only slightly north-)eastern Scotland - where the October temperature stats are pretty similar to the Northern Isles - I still haven't seen my longs since about March...

    ... just saying ;-)

    Good for you, personally I LONG for some Black Isle weather. You should also factor in the Westerlies coming in off the Atlantic, with the associated wind chill etc. You Southern numpties have it way too good. :wink:
    Try comparing this (-2 point something for those who can't be bothered to click) to the 6° or so you northern softies have basked in this week...
  • OrkneyladOrkneylad Posts: 104
    bompington wrote:
    Orkneylad wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Here in (only slightly north-)eastern Scotland - where the October temperature stats are pretty similar to the Northern Isles - I still haven't seen my longs since about March...

    ... just saying ;-)

    Good for you, personally I LONG for some Black Isle weather. You should also factor in the Westerlies coming in off the Atlantic, with the associated wind chill etc. You Southern numpties have it way too good. :wink:
    Try comparing this (-2 point something for those who can't be bothered to click) to the 6° or so you northern softies have basked in this week...

    That -2.4C is the night-time low, the daytime high of 14C would indeed be shorts weather. And look at that wind! I can but dream of days like that. :D
  • izzaizza Posts: 1,561
    I thought the last season was as good as previous ones. Right up to the last episode. That was awful

    Is there another series coming?
  • I've messed with all of the above. Tinfoil, merino socks, neoprene, overshoes etc. All pretty useless. Last winter I cracked bought a dedicated pair of winter shoes, Northwave Fahrenheit's and never looked back. The booty feeling needs a bit of getting used to, but in terms of cold feet and ending winter cycling this is the best investment I've made in a long time.
Sign In or Register to comment.