Single speed chain tension

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited October 2017 in Workshop
Hi,

I got a single speed/fixie a little while ago and I think that the chain needs tensioning. This is because there is a clicking sound from the rear hub when I pedal (it's set up as a single speed). I have chain tugs fitted.

My questions are:

1. Does the clicking mean that the chain needs tightening, or is it likely to be something else?
2. How tight should it be?

I'd appreciate advice from more experienced single speed riders.

Cheers,
Steve
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Assuming it's not the pawls in the freewheel, ticking could be a number of factors e.g. chainline not straight and chain catching on the side of sprocket or chainring? Also check that the chainring is straight.

Correct tension is that you have about 10mm of total vertical movement in the chain along it's length to ensure it can't skip off the sprocket / chainring teeth. Singlespeed is a bit more tolerant than fixed gear - a tight chain can be noisier.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just look at the chain to see if it needs retensioning. You don't want it too tight that it binds or too loose that it can bounce off. A pic may help ?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I had ticking from my chain when I had a singlespeed with the correct tension and found lubing the chain cured it.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    redvee wrote:
    I had ticking from my chain when I had a singlespeed

Your single speed, is still going strong ... she is currently dressed in Racing Ralphs now the bad weather has set in and the commute goes straight across Bristol Downs

regarding chain tightness I have found that if its too tight it feels grainy as you pedal and starts to bind, so just back it off until its smoooooooth
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Thanks for the advice, folks. I will take a look at what you suggest. The chain is in need of a clean and re-lube, so hopefully that's all it is.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs