Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Holdsworth Brevet Audax frameset

careca78careca78 Posts: 99
edited October 2017 in Road buying advice
Hello All

I’m considering buying a road frame for the first time to use a box of spares from my father’s cracked BH Ventoux.

Coming from MTB I don’t have a clue about road bikes and need your help.

Due to compatibility and cost issues (it also looks great) I’m thinking about buying the Holdsworth Brevet Audax frameset:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRHOBRV/holdsworth-brevet-audax-frameset

Since I can’t find many reviews I would like to know your opinions.
The intended use is commuting and the occasional long ride (to my standards) in backcountry roads with my father.

Posts

  • bobonesbobones Posts: 1,149
    Looks like a cheap steel frame and fork with no headset. This is a better buy IMO as you get a modern alu frame and carbon fork with headset included. https://www.radialcycles.co.uk/bikes/fr ... frame.html
  • The Radial looks really nice, but as a 456 Evo 2 user I’m biased towards steel.
    Weight is not an issue for me and I will value a confortable frame over a lighter one.
  • ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Looks nice, but I have a pair of shimano 105 brakes from the BH.
    Need to keep costs below the wife's radar...
  • beanstalkbeanstalk Posts: 143
    Careca78 wrote:
    Looks nice, but I have a pair of shimano 105 brakes from the BH.
    Need to keep costs below the wife's radar...
    Here is your frameset:
    298077_P4.jpg
    As you can see it requires mid reach brakes (Tektro 539 in this case) with brake shoes far down in the slots.
    Your 105 brakes are too short.
  • beanstalkbeanstalk Posts: 143
    Careca78 wrote:
    The Radial looks really nice, but as a 456 Evo 2 user I’m biased towards steel.
    Weight is not an issue for me and I will value a confortable frame over a lighter one.
    Every second word in the Radial's description is "comfortable"...
    If you want comfort, don't look at the frame's material but on tyre sizes and a fitting saddle.
    Btw the comfort of thick-walled heavy steel frames is somewhat doubtful.
  • Well sir, you just pointed a real problem. A pair of road brakes is not that expensive, but if I can avoid it...

    How can I know if the Radial is compatible with my brakes?

    I was looking for a classic steel frame for the looks and riding quality, but will look elsewhere if I can something better.

    As I told you, I'm a mountain biker looking for advice and will apreciate your help.
  • stevie63stevie63 Posts: 481
    The radial would be compatible with any standard drop road brakes like yours
  • Those Bike really look good, but are above my budget, especialy now that my wife managed to ding the back of the car...

    I'm trying to stay away of second hand to avoid getting into hidden problems, so the Radial is looking better by the minute.
  • Do you know more alternatives to Radial or the Holdsworth?
    I'm looking for something up to 300€ that fit the following requirements:
    - 27,2mm seatpost
    - Ability to fit 12-32T cassette
    - Compatible with Mavic Aksium (mandatory)
    - 31,8mm seat clamp (negotiable)
    - Compatible with Shimano 105 brakes (negotiable)
    - Weight is not a mais issue
    - Comfortable ride
  • beanstalkbeanstalk Posts: 143
    So you are looking for a standard road frame, no fenders, no wide tyres?
  • No, I don't need fenders, mudgards or racks. Just a road bike for longer rides, with decent weather, made at medium-lower average speeds (nutcracker rides) with my father.
  • beanstalkbeanstalk Posts: 143
    Shouldn't be hard to find one for 300€ there are plenty of those around, even carbon frames.
    Look at some German shops, too.
    https://www.bike-discount.de/en/shop/ca ... 24&o=preis
    https://www.bike-discount.de/en/shop/al ... 24/o-preis

    If you still think that steel is per se more comfortable:
    https://www.poison-bikes.de/shopart/001 ... enkit.html
  • The Poison Arsen looks really good and seems to tick all the boxes.
    Now the question is if it's wiser to buy the Poison for 300€ and use most of the parts or the Holdsworth for 177€ and buy a pair of brakes.

    For some reason I tend to prefer steel bikes over alu... and any of the previous over carbon. I think I've got my dose of carbon in the old days while making experimental and ultralight airplanes. I think it's too fragile and delicate for me...
  • chippykchippyk Posts: 529
    Careca78 wrote:
    The Poison Arsen looks really good and seems to tick all the boxes.
    Now the question is if it's wiser to buy the Poison for 300€ and use most of the parts or the Holdsworth for 177€ and buy a pair of brakes.

    For some reason I tend to prefer steel bikes over alu... and any of the previous over carbon. I think I've got my dose of carbon in the old days while making experimental and ultralight airplanes. I think it's too fragile and delicate for me...

    No offence meant, but what do you do to a frame that a top CX, MTB or road rider doesn’t do to their frame. CF reinforced composites can be very strong, knock it in the wrong direction and it may not be, but if they were that fragile and that delicate, then nobody would buy them. The power and abuse say Sagan would give a bike dwarfs anything mere mortals can do.
  • beanstalkbeanstalk Posts: 143
    Careca78 wrote:
    Now the question is if it's wiser to buy the Poison for 300€ and use most of the parts or the Holdsworth for 177€ and buy a pair of brakes.
    I really don't like the Holdsworth Audax it looks the price esp. that chunky ugly fork.
    I am sure there are more alternatives.
  • ChippyK wrote:
    Careca78 wrote:
    The Poison Arsen looks really good and seems to tick all the boxes.
    Now the question is if it's wiser to buy the Poison for 300€ and use most of the parts or the Holdsworth for 177€ and buy a pair of brakes.

    For some reason I tend to prefer steel bikes over alu... and any of the previous over carbon. I think I've got my dose of carbon in the old days while making experimental and ultralight airplanes. I think it's too fragile and delicate for me...

    No offence meant, but what do you do to a frame that a top CX, MTB or road rider doesn’t do to their frame. CF reinforced composites can be very strong, knock it in the wrong direction and it may not be, but if they were that fragile and that delicate, then nobody would buy them. The power and abuse say Sagan would give a bike dwarfs anything mere mortals can do.


    I don't do anything special and have worked a lot with composites during 5 years... don't get me wrong, as an aeronautical engineer I Love carbon. I just crash frequently, travel a lot with the Bike on the car roof, don't like what UV radiaton makes to the resin and I tend to keep bikes for a very loooooong time... it's just a matter or personnal preference.
  • beanstalk wrote:
    Careca78 wrote:
    Now the question is if it's wiser to buy the Poison for 300€ and use most of the parts or the Holdsworth for 177€ and buy a pair of brakes.
    I really don't like the Holdsworth Audax it looks the price esp. that chunky ugly fork.
    I am sure there are more alternatives.


    See, this os when it gets personnal... coming from MTB I tend to like the straight legged fork. But I do agree that there are more alternatives out there, just need time to search and your advice to choose.
  • I have a question for you.
    I have a Look carbon fork from the BH, can I assume the lenght to be standard and will I be able to install it in any road frame without altering the geometry?

    I'm looking at this frame (https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cub ... wg_id-8675) and if I can use the fork it will be a lot cheaper.
  • beanstalkbeanstalk Posts: 143
    Careca78 wrote:
    I'm looking at this frame (https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cub ... wg_id-8675) and if I can use the fork it will be a lot cheaper.
    Keep looking at this frame, look at the specs regarding the steerer tube and bottom bracket, look at the only two available geometries (very small and very tall)...
  • timothywtimothyw Posts: 2,482
    bobones wrote:
    Looks like a cheap steel frame and fork with no headset. This is a better buy IMO as you get a modern alu frame and carbon fork with headset included. https://www.radialcycles.co.uk/bikes/fr ... frame.html
    Just get this one. Riding buddy built one up a week or two ago, looks very classy for the money, put what you save towards other bits.

    Funnily enough he got it because he was tired of struggling around on his heavy planet x Kaffenback on winter rides, he is very happy with it.
  • davidofdavidof Posts: 2,725
    TimothyW wrote:
    bobones wrote:
    Looks like a cheap steel frame and fork with no headset. This is a better buy IMO as you get a modern alu frame and carbon fork with headset included. https://www.radialcycles.co.uk/bikes/fr ... frame.html
    Just get this one.

    good advice
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
Sign In or Register to comment.