Planet X Stealth Pro Carbon with Drop Bars Bike Sizing

gazoome
gazoome Posts: 5
edited October 2017 in Road buying advice
The bike I am looking to purchase is a Planet X Stealth Pro Carbon. It's a tri bike with carbon wheels.

I am looking to get drop bars for it so I can use as a road bike. Where I live it's mostly flat, so climbing and descending is not an issue. I will mostly use it with the drop bars and occasionally the aero bar.

I am 5'11 tall. The frame I am getting is the XL size 57 cm. The guy that owns it now is also 5'11 and he says it fits him.

What are your thoughts on this?

Will the slightly larger frame work in my favor given my intention to use it more like a road bike?

Comments

• I should add: the head angle of the PX Stealth Pro Carbon frame is 72.5 degrees
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Why not buy a road bike ?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Tiny head tube - optimal height for aero bars/arm rests - not optimal height for regular road stem and drops.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    And Im a bit taller than you and ride the large frame. But as a TT bike. Not road.
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    Don't do it - the frame geometry is for a TT position (steep seat tube, low front end etc). It will never ride as well as a proper road bike and be heavier than it needs to be. The rear facing drop outs are a PITA when you get a puncture too.
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    I converted my old tt bike (stealth) to a road bike. The stealth hasn’t got a particularly steep seat tube if you look and you can always slam the seat right back anyway. I find mine handles better than my new domane if I’m honest. I think wheels and rider preference has more effect than whether a bike is a tri bike or not ime. As for weight, yes it gives up a few pounds but it does (supposedly) gain in aero.

Now the size thing, to give you another data point, I’m 5’10 and ride a medium. At your height, I’d check the club fits.
  • I've done exactly that. Had the PX Stealth as my TT bike, but wasn't getting enough use out of it so converted it to a drop bar roadie. It's pretty damn cool, but the front end is a little more twitchy than my other road bike. I had to put a longer stem on it to get more stretched out and move the saddle back slightly too. Position seems fine, feels fast.

I'm 5'9" and have a medium frame, felt slightly large as a TT bike, but a good fit as a road bike. You may find the XL frame a little large for you depending on your limb lengths and riding position preference?

cropped-e1509239536166.jpg

Just note that the Stealth is not exactly a super aero frame to start with, it's a very old open mould design now and even though Cadel Evans rode one in the Tour (with a different brand name on it) it's more about the aero position that it can get you into rather than the frame being slippery.