Boardman vs Voodoo

sxh287
sxh287 Posts: 2
edited November 2017 in Commuting general
Hi All,

I am currently looking to buy my first bike for commuting purposes. At first I was swayed towards a road bike, however from what I have gathered from people at different shops and from looking online, I would be more flexible using a hybrid as I could also drive through parks etc. more comfortably.

I am therefore looking at a hybrid, and have seen the following two that I think might be good:

Voodoo Marasa Hybrid Bike 2016 (http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... -bike-2016)
Boardman MX Sport Bike (http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... sport-bike)

Now I wasn't looking to spend more than 300 GBP initially, so if there are cheaper alternatives that can be recommended out there I would be grateful, but I have read good things about Boardman and am wondering if the 80 GBP difference should just be disregarded in this case if I want a good bike for every day use that will last me a good 2-3 years at least.

Many thanks for any help on this! :D

Comments

• I bought the Boardman in August to commute in London. I'm absolutely satisfied with it. The main difference between these two bikes is that the boardman has a suspension fork what you can lock out if you want, but it's very comfortable on London's roads. And also boadman has Sram system while voodoo is using shimano.
    I would buy the Boardman again. :)
  • Personally I think the Carrera Subway is worth considering. For day to day use I think mechanical disc brakes are better due to their simplicity of use including adjustment. The frame is I would say stronger, it is lifted from the Carrera mountain bike range and has additional reinforcing. I wouldn't want front suspension on a commuting bike, its just something to wear out and need attention over time. However maybe the crunch point is the Subway has 27.5" wheels and your choice's are 700c lighter/faster wheels so I suspect that might be important to you. If you are going to go through parks and take rough short cuts etc then the Subway will be better. I think the 27.5" wheels will ride better, be stronger and more puncture resistant but will be a little bit slower than your 2 options.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Personally I'd go for the Marasa, lighter and less to cause issues than the Boardman, swap on some lighter (the stock ones are quite heavy) road biased tyres and they make a great commuter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JBVRV
    JBVRV Posts: 27
    I've can heartily recommend older vintages of the Marasa. Did Ride London 100 on it, as well as black runs at Swinley mountain bike trails. I often wonder why I spent five times the amount to get a lighter road bike that is much less versatile...