Reckon this old laptop will work with Zwift?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,592
Evening all,

I have an old, but great condition Tosh laptop.
I have upgraded it with a big battery (4 hours runtime) and 8gb of Ram.currently for TR and Eurosport player etc.

It has a large 17.3" screen too, so perfect for Trainerroad and ES Player, and to lug in and out of the garage.
Also bought an extra power supply for it too.

Keen to try Zwift on a free 7 day trial, but reluctant to start it if it will not run at all, as then I won't actually get a feel for it and know if I want to give it a proper go.

This is the machine:

http://www.toshiba.co.uk/discontinued-products/satellite-pro-l670-14m/

The bit that jumped out at me was:
Graphics adaptor type : ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650 supporting HyperMemory™ technology
memory amount : 1,024 MB dedicated VRAM (total available graphics memory using HyperMemory™ technology can be up to 4,083 MB with a 64-bit operating system and 8 GB system memory)

Don't quite understand how the graphics memory could go from 1 to 4gb, but as I have 8 in there it would be useful.
I installed GPU-Z and it confirms that it only think it has 1024mb of ram attached.

I am a techy, but more database wise these days - anyone have any input for me?

Any software out there that could rob some RAM purely to use for graphics?

I did look at EGPU's but don't think this laptop would be viable.

If the concensus is it will not work, any suggestions for a suitable option - needs to be cheap ideally, and happy to go for a 2nd hand or refurb unit - though 17" screen and above would be preferable.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Just sign up with an email address you don't normally use, try it with that if you're worried about munching up the trial?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    There's a bit of information here about laptops.

viewtopic.php?t=13073417
  • daniel_b
    mfin wrote:
    Just sign up with an email address you don't normally use, try it with that if you're worried about munching up the trial?

Wowsas, why did I not think of that! Often the simplest solutions are right in front of you. Doh!

Thanks for that link Cougie, will check it out.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I think it will run fine on that, maybe with a bit more RAM though.

It runs (albeit in lowest resolution) on my sub £200 laptop:
    https://www.tesco.com/direct/acer-es1-5 ... rce=others
  • daniel_b
    Dannbodge wrote:

Cheers Dann, also had a look at that other thread properly - some good stuff in there.

You say more Ram, but I think my slots are maxed out (ooh errr) as she is packing 8gb, and now running 64bit, so all 8 can be fully utilised - was running 32bit before I rebuilt it, and could only see 4gb or so.
    I also have found a Dell E7440 I could potentially re-build, but it's a much smaller screen, so not as ideal.
    I'm guessing if you are racing, you want a fairly big screen so you can appreciate fully what is going on?

Out of interest - what do you make of Zwift, even in a low res mode - presumably you choose the graphic detail from within the program?

How often do you use it, and do you just use it for races, or for training as well?

I know you have to put your weight in, and your FTP, is that so it effectively levels\handicaps the field then for races, or so it can group you with riders who have a similar w\kg?

And is it just a case of you look at a calendar for when races are starting, and just join in, or do you have to apply, and be accepted as it were?
    Quite excited about this now! Something for the Christmas week I think.

Can see that if I get into it, I'll actively look forward with a bit more motivation to getting up at 06:00 on a cold dark January morning - not that I hate it by any means, but I think if it's a bit more of an interactive experience, it might make a bit of difference.
    Wonder if the overall workout of a race, is as good as a structured workout though - guess it all depends on how fast the race is run, and whether there are breakaways etc.
    Speaking of which, if there is a breakaway, does it give you details on the top of the screen, such as "6 riders 1:23 ahead" - otherwise wonder how you would keep tabs on it.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Daniel B wrote:
    Speaking of which, if there is a breakaway, does it give you details on the top of the screen, such as "6 riders 1:23 ahead" - otherwise wonder how you would keep tabs on it.

Zwift runs on a £149 Lenovo windows tablet as well as you'd want it.
    You can go overboard with setups though.

Re breakaways on Zift... if you plus 1 minute down, you aint going to pull a break back... it dont happen on Zwift, it aint real life racing. In fact if a gap goes to plus 20 seconds, yo is probably fecked.
  • daniel_b
    JGSI wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Zwift runs on a £149 Lenovo windows tablet as well as you'd want it.
    You can go overboard with setups though.

Re breakaways on Zift... if you plus 1 minute down, you aint going to pull a break back... it dont happen on Zwift, it aint real life racing. In fact if a gap goes to plus 20 seconds, yo is probably fecked.

That's good news on the tablet front, surprised re the breakaway thing - so even if you are still in the main peloton?
    Conversely that presumably must go the same the other way then, ie if you get in a breakaway you won't get pulled back?

Not too bothered about having a huge 30" monitor etc, but am considering a cheap desktop with a good graphics card that could then remain permanently in the garage - not sure if that would be ok during the winter is the only thing.
    I would then need to mount a monitor somewhere too, but that might not be happy in freezing conditions either.

Now you have mentioned it, also wondering if a cheap tablet could be an option........
    Even one of those no brand ones from China.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Daniel B wrote:
    Dannbodge wrote:

Cheers Dann, also had a look at that other thread properly - some good stuff in there.

You say more Ram, but I think my slots are maxed out (ooh errr) as she is packing 8gb, and now running 64bit, so all 8 can be fully utilised - was running 32bit before I rebuilt it, and could only see 4gb or so.
    I also have found a Dell E7440 I could potentially re-build, but it's a much smaller screen, so not as ideal.
    I'm guessing if you are racing, you want a fairly big screen so you can appreciate fully what is going on?

Out of interest - what do you make of Zwift, even in a low res mode - presumably you choose the graphic detail from within the program?

How often do you use it, and do you just use it for races, or for training as well?

I know you have to put your weight in, and your FTP, is that so it effectively levels\handicaps the field then for races, or so it can group you with riders who have a similar w\kg?

And is it just a case of you look at a calendar for when races are starting, and just join in, or do you have to apply, and be accepted as it were?
    Quite excited about this now! Something for the Christmas week I think.

Can see that if I get into it, I'll actively look forward with a bit more motivation to getting up at 06:00 on a cold dark January morning - not that I hate it by any means, but I think if it's a bit more of an interactive experience, it might make a bit of difference.
    Wonder if the overall workout of a race, is as good as a structured workout though - guess it all depends on how fast the race is run, and whether there are breakaways etc.

I didn't read that you've already RAMmed it to it's capacity :roll:

All it does is make the graphics a more blocky and not as defined, occasionally it's a touch laggy but nothing that's ruins Zwift for me. It does the job.

If my other laptop is available (if the wife isn't playing sims) I use it in full 1080p which is great.

At the moment I don't use it very often, I'm restricted to 1/2 rides a week due to an injury and when I have been on it I just free ride. Once I'm recovered I'll be doing workouts, group rides and races. At which point I will have built a PC to run a big monitor/TV.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks Dann, all good to know, and I hope you egt over and passed your injury soon :-)

I will try the Tosh laptop first, and then maybe that other Dell - otherwise idly considering if this 10.1" tablet would cut the mustard - only 1GB of Ram though, and doesn't really go into details about how good the graphics is:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N7V7L66/ref=psdc_429892031_t1_B071GY6994

Could be useful elsewhere within the house though.

Only thing is then it would be small, so would need to find a way to hold it closer to my face - use a music stand or some kind of telescopic arm I guess.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    AFAIK Zwift doesn't run on Android ...
  • daniel_b
    Slowbike wrote:
    AFAIK Zwift doesn't run on Android ...

Nice spot! - I had seen this:
    Can I use Zwift on my tablet/smartphone?
    Jason K. September 23, 2017 13:09

Yes! If you have an iOS device, you can download Zwift from the App Store.

Android and iOS devices can also run the Mobile Link companion app in tandem with Zwift. You can read more about its features here.

And wrongly read it as yes you can use it with via the website - clearly not.
    The link companion is for controlling the app, or interacting etc, but I could do that as well with my android mobile I guess.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Evening all,

I have an old, but great condition Tosh laptop.
    I have upgraded it with a big battery (4 hours runtime) and 8gb of Ram.currently for TR and Eurosport player etc.

It has a large 17.3" screen too, so perfect for Trainerroad and ES Player, and to lug in and out of the garage.
    Also bought an extra power supply for it too.

Keen to try Zwift on a free 7 day trial, but reluctant to start it if it will not run at all, as then I won't actually get a feel for it and know if I want to give it a proper go.

This is the machine:

http://www.toshiba.co.uk/discontinued-products/satellite-pro-l670-14m/

The bit that jumped out at me was:
    Graphics adaptor type : ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650 supporting HyperMemory™ technology
    memory amount : 1,024 MB dedicated VRAM (total available graphics memory using HyperMemory™ technology can be up to 4,083 MB with a 64-bit operating system and 8 GB system memory)

Don't quite understand how the graphics memory could go from 1 to 4gb, but as I have 8 in there it would be useful.

Your computer has 1GB dedicated Graphics card RAM. Physical chips sitting on the graphics card. The rest is borrowed from the main motherboard RAM so anything used here is taken from your 8GB so it leaves around 4.5GB (RAM steps in 1024 jumps so you lose a bit in transfer)

Since the RAM borrowed is not optimised for graphics it’s a lot slower than proper GPX memory.
  • jgsi
    Race dynamics do not work very well on Zwift -- it is very much a testers/triathletes power profile weighted.
    Working together needs experience that most on Zwift simply do not have. Most races simply end up like kiddies racing.. like kiddies football - all 22 chasing a ball.
    You'll find all this out and more as you use it.
  • slowbike
    I'm still wondering whether to continue my BKool Premium Subscripton (£7.99/month) or go Zwift - the disadvantage of Zwift is that I'd have to either run it on my mobile or get a computer suitable to run it as it won't run well on my old Macbook Pro.
    As I keep the turbo outdoors (covered area) I don't really want to be leaving a computer out there, so it needs to be a laptop - or I guess I could get a newer iPad - seems a bit of a waste...
  • jgsi
    Running the game on an IOS phone is probably ok on a larger screen one? But you can feed to a screen or mirrorcast?
  • slowbike
    JGSI wrote:
    Running the game on an IOS phone is probably ok on a larger screen one? But you can feed to a screen or mirrorcast?
    True ... got an iPhone6 - so not particularly big - certainly won't see any details - throwing it up to a screen will need a new screen and/or converter cable - and a new bluetooth HR monitor because mine are Ant+ (or the converter - but tbh that's just another thing to add)
    Plus there's the whole - "Do I do Zwift or Bkool?" thing - at least with Bkool I get to decide what course to ride and when I want to ride it - whereas Zwift just seems to be virtual open road ... although with just a couple more riders on the course at the same time...
  • slowbike
    Just had a thought - doesn't Zwift run on the Apple TV - Ah - still Beta testing ...
  • n1ckster
    n1ckster Posts: 158
    Apologies, I'm jumping on the bandwagon here....
    I'm currently running it on my late 2013 MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz I5, 8GB of Ram and the integrated Intel Iris 1536 graphic card. Zwiftalizer rates my graphics analysis as 'Basic' at 720p at an average 40fps.
    I am still looking for something to use instead of my MacBook and am thinking os a small form PC of some kind; maybe a used 2011/12 Mini Mac, but I'm not convinced that these will handle the graphics any better?
    I'm a bit of a technical numpty in terms of PC specs so am really looking for practical and affordable solutions that will provide a step up in performance.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance,
    Nick
  • cougie
    Not sure if you've read this?

https://zwift.com/hardware#zwift
  • cougie
    You can actually sign up for the free trial and it'll tell you if the graphics card is no good. Like it just did for mine.... Dammit.
  • daniel_b
    cougie wrote:
    You can actually sign up for the free trial and it'll tell you if the graphics card is no good. Like it just did for mine.... Dammit.

Did you continue and try it anyway?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • cougie
    Won't let me. The laptop is quite old though so I did think it might not work.
  • cougie
    Looking into this - if you look for zwift on eBay it comes up with plenty of PC's built just for the job. Cheaper than the laptop options.
  • daniel_b
    edited October 2017
    cougie wrote:
    Looking into this - if you look for zwift on eBay it comes up with plenty of PC's built just for the job. Cheaper than the laptop options.

This is true, but we are still apaprently looking at 300 notes, plus it's in my garage, so I'm not convinced it will be k to leave a pc and monitor out there in all weathers :-(

As an aside, I have been investigating tablets, and the possibility of mounting it using one of these:
    tacx-bracket-for-tablets.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

Any opinions on something like one of these below as to their suitability or lack of - trying to keep outlay down:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/10-6-Fusion5-108-Android-Tablet/dp/B06XQM92B9/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1509444536&sr=8-5&keywords=2gb+tablet

https://www.amazon.co.uk/E10-1-Android-Tablet-16GB-Storage/dp/B01N7V7L66/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509444536&sr=8-1&keywords=2gb+tablet

https://www.tesco.com/direct/lenovo-tab-2-a10-30-za0c0078gb-101-tablet-snapdragon-quad-core-2gb-32gb-android-50/659-7871.prd?skuId=659-7871&pageLevel=sku&sc_cmp=ppc*Partners_Text*PX+-+Shopping+GSC+-+All+Partners*PRODUCT+GROUP659-7871*&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlJy7tNSa1wIV1hXTCh2XogmLEAQYAiABEgLxkfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CO2LibrUmtcCFTIT0wodTbcDKA

Thinking that would be nice and flexible, crap speaker is not an issue, as I already use a bluetooth external speaker.

But would it be up to running Zwift, both processor and graphics wise?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • slowbike
    Daniel B wrote:
    This is true, but we are still apaprently looking at 300 notes, plus it's in my garage, so I'm not convinced it will be k to leave a pc and monitor out there in all weathers :-(

Assuming your garage isn't wet - what do you think will happen to the kit?

It's damp/condensation - or excessive heat that causes the damage - the damp/condensation because it can cause short circuits - so don't use the PC as a front wheel riser ... ;)
  • daniel_b
    Slowbike wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Assuming your garage isn't wet - what do you think will happen to the kit?

It's damp/condensation - or excessive heat that causes the damage - the damp/condensation because it can cause short circuits - so don't use the PC as a front wheel riser ... ;)

I'm clearly no scientist, but from what I have read up on, it seems if you have electrical equipment in a very cold environment, when you switch it on, the heat differential creates condensation (?) which then can fry the internals\motherboard etc
    Happy to be told this is not the case :-)

P.S garage is watertight, but has no insulation at all, so in the winter it will be pretty much the same temperature as outside.

Also wondering is that tablet will hamper use of TT bars.........?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • cougie
    I don't think the cold of a garage will be a problem. I'd be slightly wary of dust but a good excuse for a clean up.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    I bought something like this, added a £50 graphics card and was good to go.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-PC-p6203u ... SwiBJZ9hoO
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    An ipad mini and the mount work fine with zwift for me and in my garage...
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    n1ckster wrote:
    Apologies, I'm jumping on the bandwagon here....
    I'm currently running it on my late 2013 MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz I5, 8GB of Ram and the integrated Intel Iris 1536 graphic card. Zwiftalizer rates my graphics analysis as 'Basic' at 720p at an average 40fps.
    I am still looking for something to use instead of my MacBook and am thinking os a small form PC of some kind; maybe a used 2011/12 Mini Mac, but I'm not convinced that these will handle the graphics any better?
    I'm a bit of a technical numpty in terms of PC specs so am really looking for practical and affordable solutions that will provide a step up in performance.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance,
    Nick

Dual boot your mac into windows. Windows handles resources and gaming and therefore zwift better than macs. Your mac has similar specs to the Windows laptop I use for zwift and it runs just fine all be it not at the maxed out graphics. I still have an old macbook (2008) that I use for everyday computing and used to dual boot it for games in the past with no probs.