Canyon Hardtail Geometry

DR1VER
DR1VER Posts: 5
edited October 2017 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

My first post and like many other newbies, I've recently been infected by the biking bug and happy to be a carrier.

I'm looking into buying a new hardtail and the Canyon Grand Canyon seems like a great spec for the price alongside its aesthetics.

I'm not going to post geo comparisons here, but I will highlight that compared to my current bike, the Canyon is circa 20mm shorter in length and top tube length, reach isnt far off this mark either, and it it has a taller stand over height.
I already have to lean my bike over slightly to get on and Ideally I dont want anything taller - so my questions is what are peoples experiences with these bikes?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Good bikes.

Are you sure your current bike is the right size?

Standover isn't relevant when you are riding the bike!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DR1VER
    Hi Rookie,

Thanks for responding,

I know I'll spend more time on the bike than getting on it, I just don't want getting on the bike to be like mounting a horse.

I found out today the Grand Canyon 29 has no Boost :( is this something I should be put off by?

My current bike is a 19" trek Cobia, the geometry is likely outdated (though it is G2) and trek now size at 18.5" and 19.5" - that could be it
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The BB height and therefore saddle height will be pretty much the same, so standover won't effect mounting/dismounting much.

Irony is I'm just doing up a Cobia (a real one - a 2009 Gary Fisher) to try out this whole wagon wheel/Genesis2.0 (as it was called at first) thing. I needed a 19" for the TT length but that leaves me very little standover.

Genesis 2 (mild rewording)
    1 Thus the heavens and the earth were completed with all their vast wheels. 2 By the seventh day Gary had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. 3 Then Gary blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work and rode a mountain bike instead.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have a GF (Trek badged but still has his initials) Rumblefish.

I can just about get on it on the flat - starting up steep stuff is a bugger. I just automatically drop the post when coming to a stop.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DR1VER
    I should probably factor in flexibility, I sit in an office all day.

I've come across a large number of bad reviews in relation to Canyons customer service which has put me off the brand a little, could be back to the drawing board
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I work in an office all day as well, weekends are for riding.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools