Mudguards on CX

FSR_XC
FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
edited November 2017 in Cyclocross
I’ve just bought a Genesis Vaopour Carbon CX.

It will be used for winter club rides as well as CX rides.

I could do with mudguards for the club rides, but . . . .

1. There are no mounts
2. It’s not got QR - it’s 12mm through axle front & rear
3. The guards need to be easily removable and easy to fit back on without having to spend 20 min fettling each time I fit them
4. Reading reviews on raceblades & crudcatchers, they seem to be good, but personal feedback on sites can be very different

Thoughts / recommendations?
Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Raceblades probably only option. At least they are reasonably easy enough to remove.
    No doubt you'll be sick of swapping tyres and removing mudguards and end up with a winter road bike at some point though so you might as well just bit the bullet N+1
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    trek_dan wrote:
    Raceblades probably only option. At least they are reasonably easy enough to remove.
    No doubt you'll be sick of swapping tyres and removing mudguards and end up with a winter road bike at some point though so you might as well just bit the bullet N+1
    This. If you're going to have two sets of tyres, it's substantially easier to have them mounted on two sets of wheels. If you're relying on the bike for the commute, it also makes sense to have a spare chain, brake pads, cables etc. If you're racing you probably want to have a spare mech, hanger etc too. By the time you've got all those bits, you might as well attach them all together and make them into a bike.

This is literally how I first ended up with a pit bike. I was carting so many spares to races, that it ended up being easier to attach them all to a frame and just have one thing to remember to pack.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Have to agree with the other posters. Even if you get a good fitting set of guards there will be a large gap between guards and skinny road wheels which will look odd and give less protection. If you fit the guards close to road tyres then you won’t be able to fit your cross tyres. And most of the race blades etc don’t really give enough protection to you or the rider behind. The long crud catcher ones are sort of ok but last about a season. And you will be undergeared on long descents if the others are on 52/12 etc. I could go on....
    Highly recommend n+1.
  • Fit some plastic coated P clips and you've got a set of mudguard eyelets to fit whatever you want.

I fitted a pair of SKS Velo guards to my CX bike which gave better protection than the options mentioned. Front was held on with a bracket at the back of the fork, no stays, and just slid on/off and the back was attached with snap off brackets to the P clips and a couple of releasable cable ties. Off or on in a minute.