Wheel rebuild: Pacenti Forza vs Pacenti SL23

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
edited October 2017 in Road buying advice
A mate of mine had a failure on a Pacenti SL23 rear rim (I didn't build it!) and obviously these are no longer available (new anyway). Would a rebuild onto a Pacenti Forza rim permit re-using the spokes or are the ERDs significantly different? Think the Forza ERD is meant to be 2mm more.

Had already posted something to this effect on the Workshop forum to no avail so if you're reading this thinking it sounds familiar, well, it does. ;-)

Comments

• banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    There was an issue with these rims and washers should have been used on all nipples.
  • munkster
    I know...

Washers were used by the original wheel builder on the SL23s FWIW.

Edit: or are you suggesting that the washers would account for the additional ERD of the Forzas? Hadn’t thought of that cheers.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    washer did not help with the V1 or V2 rims. Pacenti SL23 V1 and V2 are rims that keep on giving - failures. higher spoke counts did not help, using lower spoke tension did not help.

The forza ERD is different enough to require new spokes. Hence when I get a warranty I offer different rims or the forza. The forza is a better rim thankfully than what went previously but paronia now means washers. Add washers and the length change is even bigger.

Velobrands is still offering warranty on V2 rims but for 2 years from purchase. they seem to have tightened up recently. I am not surprised with the number I have had to warranty this year alone.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • munkster
    Thanks, new spokes (and washers) it is then!

My own V2 SL23/DuraAce hubbed wheels I built myself and that have done at least 10,000km are still going strong. I must’ve just have been very lucky I guess; either that or tempting the failure gods...
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    ..The forza ERD is different enough to require new spokes...

The quoted difference is 3mm so 1.5mm per spoke. I know some people have rebuilt onto Forza without a problem. It may depend on the hub/original spoke length choice to some degree but as the new EDR is longer not shorter I'd guess that most people would get away with re-using spokes TBH albeit that the lengths aren't 100% spot on.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D