Olive on Hydraulic Brake Hose

jefflad
jefflad Posts: 315
edited October 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Due to replacing a leaking calliper I'm trying to recycle my hydraulic brake hose by removing the old olive and insert. I simply can't shift the olive and am wondering whether I should just buy a new hose and go from there. I could cut the hose but I'm right at my limits for length so really need to get the olive shifted but like I say I can't... has anyone any tips or advice? I've tried putting pliers or a spanner behind it and hammering off but to no effect, I have considered hacksawing it but am worried i'll damage the hose.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why can't you just use the old olive and insert with the new caliper?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Because the olive will be crushed (it's how it seals to the hose) and can't be removed or reused! The insert can be cut out reused.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    I've refitted before when using the same hose. He's not changing hoses. Just screw onto the new caliper.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, but he seems to want to remove the Olive and replace it for some reason unexplained.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Then I am at a loss...
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • jefflad
    jefflad Posts: 315
    cooldad wrote:
    Then I am at a loss...

:D Don't worry about it, it's brakes and I want to do it properly.

I've managed to do it now so no drama. I dare say you've done it hundreds of times and you're still alive which is great and you're happy; I've done it properly and I'm happy... everyones happy :lol: