Clement Strada LGG

wotnoshoeseh
wotnoshoeseh Posts: 531
edited October 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Does anyone have any opinions on the above tyres, as a winter tyre. I had run some 4 Seasons but think I got two from a bad batch as both suffered failures on the main carcass.
Not a fan of Gatorskins as I think they are a bit dead.
Currently still running GP4000SII on the winter bike.

Also, would I get a 28 on a Kinesis T2 - is there enough clearance. Wheels are Mavic Aksiums (the newer ones with the wider rim).

Cheers,
D

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    What kind of failure. A bulge that blows is not a bad batch it is impact damage. A thread that peels off is possibly poor manufacturing and affects some tyres randomly rather than a batch.

4 seasons tyres puncture easily and I had a number of blow out when I used them. Try tubeless if your wheels are compatible other wise Michelin's endurance tyres, schwalbe durano's, IRC aspite wet, Vittoria rubino are all fairly reliable tyres. With clinchers it is pot luck if you puncture or not. Two failures means nothing.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Two failures means nothing??

Two for two though...and in both cases required a gator to get me home.
    Needless to say, the 4 Seasons tyre was then binned.

As for tubeless - a puncture means you get to walk home. Two folk I have seen punctured when out, couldn't even get the tyre off the rim to put a tube into it.

Anyway, does anyone shed any light on the original question?

Cheers,
    D
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    I have the Clements waiting to go on my bike and the reviews I read on the web stated puncture protection and longevity was their strong points.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    They don't get a good review here https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... a-lgg-2017

I'd be tempted to stick with GP4000s over the winter. I used to run them all year and had no problems. They have good grip and are very durable.

28mm without mudguards is probably doable, with mudguards, perhaps. Some 25mm come out at 27mm anyway, for example 25mm GP4000 and Michelin Pro 4 Endurance are massive IME.
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Had them and had no issues;not the fastest rolling but good puncture resistance and good grip in the cold and wet,plenty good enough for winter club runs.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra

• As for tubeless - a puncture means you get to walk home.

I'm out
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958

As for tubeless - a puncture means you get to walk home.

I'm out

:lol:
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    Hi,

Does anyone have any opinions on the above tyres, as a winter tyre. I had run some 4 Seasons but think I got two from a bad batch as both suffered failures on the main carcass.
    Not a fan of Gatorskins as I think they are a bit dead.
    Currently still running GP4000SII on the winter bike.

Also, would I get a 28 on a Kinesis T2 - is there enough clearance. Wheels are Mavic Aksiums (the newer ones with the wider rim).

Cheers,
    D

I think there are two versions (60 and 120 TPI). Annoyingly I could only find the tan walls in 60 TPI so settled for plain black in 120 TPI. Found them reliable and comfy and fairly hard wearing, used them for Audax up to 400km which have included gravel and muddy farm track. Sure they don't roll as well as a Vittoria Cosra or the like but they aren't noticeably slow either. Good choice for a winter tyre in my opinion.

I also have a T2, just managed to fit 28mm tyres under the stock mudguards but they do rub ever so slightly once you get a bit of mud under the guard (also this was on a fairly narrow rim, 15mm internal). Depending on your setup you may need to change to a wider/deeper mudguard.
  • i.bhamra wrote:
    I also have a T2, just managed to fit 28mm tyres under the stock mudguards but they do rub ever so slightly once you get a bit of mud under the guard (also this was on a fairly narrow rim, 15mm internal). Depending on your setup you may need to change to a wider/deeper mudguard.

Cheers for this and the feedback on the tyres.

I have SKS Chromoplastics fitted for what it's worth. I guess the best thing is to just try one....??
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    i.bhamra wrote:

Cheers for this and the feedback on the tyres.

I have SKS Chromoplastics fitted for what it's worth. I guess the best thing is to just try one....??

Yeah I guess so, there is a good chance it'll be OK with a little bit of mud guard adjustment and living with the occasional bit of noise when things get muddy...
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Tubeless = walk home = nonsense. I mostly commute on tubeless, including this morning, and have done much longer rides, including the Dynamo, on them. Most punctures self-seal. If they don't, you take the tyre off and fit a tube. You do need to carry tyre levers, but then that's true for many clinchers. I generally use Hutchinson Intensive 2 in a 25, although I have one bike on Schwalbe One - which are more puncture prone, but roll faster. Rim choice makes some difference, but I have sets on Stans ZTR340, Pacenti SL23, Kinesis Crosslight and Carbonzone carbon 38mm, and have no problems with any of them. (Well, actually, the Carbonzone's don't much like initial inflation, but that's not a roadside problem). The fatter the tyre, the easier the change, generally. I can get the 30c Mavic Yksion Allroads on the Kinesis rims off easily without a lever but they hold pressure perfectly.
  • RyanB
    RyanB Posts: 116
    Had these tyres (28s) on my Genesis Equilibrium for the last 9 months with absolutely no issues. Done numerous audaxes and plenty miles and so far only 1 puncture. Simple to put on/remove. When these go, I'd buy another set as I like the tan sidewalls.