Which Wheels to Sell

ck101
ck101 Posts: 222
edited October 2017 in Road buying advice
I have a new Propel SL 0, it will be my good bike, it came with a set of SLR 0’s full carbon. I also have a set of HED Jet 6 with Alu rim sitting in a box for the last year (A bargain I picked up in a sale). I have a concern about braking in the wet over the HED’s with the SLR 0’s but like the idea they compliment the Propel. The SLR 0 get good reviews also.
I know the HED’s are top class and likely more robust.
I don’t plan on having a race day set of wheels so cant justify both. Which ones would you sell?

Comments

• neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Ck101 wrote:
    I have a new Propel SL 0, it will be my good bike, it came with a set of SLR 0’s full carbon. I also have a set of HED Jet 6 with Alu rim sitting in a box for the last year (A bargain I picked up in a sale). I have a concern about braking in the wet over the HED’s with the SLR 0’s but like the idea they compliment the Propel. The SLR 0 get good reviews also.
    I know the HED’s are top class and likely more robust.
    I don’t plan on having a race day set of wheels so cant justify both. Which ones would you sell?
    Assuming both wheelsets are comparably deep section I'd personally sell the HEDs and use a small proportion of the money to get a decent set of alu rimmed hand-built wheels (not deep section), which you can fit for wet conditions / training / trips to the alps / windy days. The HEDs are heavy and I wouldn't like to have them as my only wheels.. Also no real reason to assume they would be more robust, carbon rims don't wear out any quicker than alu ones and I assume both have decent hubs?
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    The HEDs are quality, not sure if the Giant wheels will be much if any better? The difference in weight is not very significant. Carbon breaking is getting better but is often noticeably worse than Alu in the wet and there is always the question mark around the suitability of Carbon clinchers for prolonged periods of heavy breaking.

Personally I'd be keeping the HEDs but some people prefer the look of an all carbon rim and others also believe a couple of hundred grams will make a real world difference to performance. I also imagine the HEDs will also have a higher resale value for you.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    The answer may depend on your build and riding style. As a skinny type I can certainly notice a big difference in responsiveness between wheel sets of 200-300g weight difference. If you are heavier the extra power needed to accelerate an extra 300g of rotating mass will be a much smaller proportion of the power required to accelerate your own non-rotating mass. Also if you are heavier you may be fine with using deep section wheels in all conditions, whereas I would always want to have a shallow set for windy days,