4 Season Bike or Winter Bike plus Summer Bike?

BlueDynamo
BlueDynamo Posts: 143
edited October 2017 in Road buying advice
A while ago I decided to build a 4 season bike that would take mudguards, bigger tyres (28-30mm), had flat mount discs and thru axles. I've been purchasing components over the last 6 months to complete the build. It's mainly 105 level spec but with Ultegra ST-RS685 hydro shifters and Mason x Hunt 4 Season Wheels.

I was planning on installing the components on a Bowman Pilgrims Project X or Mason Definition2 whenever they are both released later this year. The build is coming out at around £2k when I sell on all the components that I don't need i.e. the 105 hydro shifters that came with the groupset that I bought.

However, in the last few days I've noticed this at Wiggle:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-technique-tiagra-disc-2017-road-bike-blueblack/

It looks like a great value winter bike and features mudguards mounts, flat mount discs, and thru axles. The only "downsides" appears to be the 20-speed gearing, TRP Spyre Brakes and relatively heavy weight. I can get the bike for £580 with a Wiggle voucher code and cashback.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the following?

1) Buy the Verenti at Wiggle and install the 105 hydro shifters I was going to sell.

2) Buy a 105 chainset, chain, cassette and front and rear derailleur from CRC for £170 including BC discount and install on the Verenti. I might not need to even buy a front derailleur as the original Tiagra derailleur will probably be suitable?

3) Sell the TRP Spyre Brakes, Tiagra chainset, chain, cassette and front and rear derailleur. The value of all these components online is over £350. How much do you think I could get for these second hand but unused?

4) Keep all of the components I bought for the original build and aim to build a 'summer' bike next year when more framesets feature thru axles and flat mount discs. I guess there wouldn't be a requirement for mudguard mounts if I had a dedicated winter bike?
"One thing that is worse than Carlton Kirby: people complaining about Carlton Kirby.

Talk about first world problems."

The_Boy, 13/4/14, Paris-Roubaix 2014 "spoiler" thread

Comments

• ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    Option 4 is the way to go. You need as many bikes as you can.
    Seriously, that bikes a bargain and would make an excellent winter steed. Put a set of guards on it and ride it into the ground.