Two bolt pedals - double sided, not spd

johngti
johngti Posts: 2,508
edited October 2017 in Road buying advice
Normally use time xpresso pedals and get on very well with them but over the winter I’m wondering about swapping to some more robust cx/mtb style ones. Shimano spd are the obvious choice but even with a really nice pair of shoes I get hotspots on my left foot.

Are there any better pedals to use? Double sided preferably, not huge/heavy. I’ve tried Shimano a600s before and never really thought much of them as I found that they don’t always flip over properly and my foot slips off if they stay upside down.

So, assuming any of this makes sense, what else is there in a double sided, lightweight, not huge and ugly pedal?

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Crank Brother Egg Beaters? ...small, two sided, two bolt.
  • johngti
    Thought about them but a little worried that the hotspot problem would pop up. Sure I saw something somewhere with a bit of support around the clip mechanism but it’s only a vague recollection
  • johngti
    Crank brothers candy?
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Time ATAC may be what your thinking of?
    Although its more likely to be a setup issue than pedal type that is causing your issues with SPD pedals.
  • Time ATACs, at least the lower models, are apparently not made as good as they used to be. My 2006 XS Carbons are still working great and are now on my Cube, but I've seen numerous reports of newer lower models disintegrating around the retaining spring.

I had http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/time ... -prod95072 in my wishlist for ages, because at one point I couldn't get my old set off my old Felt, but last year they were ~£75 (not £106!) before British Cycling 10% discount and cashback.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    mfin wrote:
    Crank Brother Egg Beaters? ...small, two sided, two bolt.

Four sided.

And Candys if you want two sided, as someone else has already pointed out.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • johngti
    Tempted by the Candys but unsure. Always feels like I need a touch more support than spds offer
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Mallets then!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • johngti
    Might need to see a pair in the flesh! I’d have to balance the comfort and ease of walking compared to sticking with the road shoes to the amount of mickey taking I’d have to put up with from my mates :’D
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Love my old atacs. Bombproof and I don't get hotspots even with my cheap MTB shoes.
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    johngti wrote:
    Tempted by the Candys but unsure. Always feels like I need a touch more support than spds offer

To get the benefit of the extra support offered by the platforms on Candys you need to use an MTB/touring type shoe with grips/platforms protruding from the sole either side of where the cleat mounts. With a smooth soled shoe the sole will not make contact with the pedal platforms.

With an appropriate shoe I find the Candys provide a much more stable platform than basic SPDs.
  • johngti
    i.bhamra wrote:
    johngti wrote:

To get the benefit of the extra support offered by the platforms on Candys you need to use an MTB/touring type shoe with grips/platforms protruding from the sole either side of where the cleat mounts. With a smooth soled shoe the sole will not make contact with the pedal platforms.

With an appropriate shoe I find the Candys provide a much more stable platform than basic SPDs.

That’s good to know thanks. I’ve got a decent pair of mtb style shoes so Candys might be the way forward