UK Based Cyclists Do You Purchase From Overseas

frankcannondale
frankcannondale Posts: 69
edited October 2017 in Road buying advice
Just wondered if it's cost effective once import duty and postage are added to any overseas purchases. If any ?

I look at the prices in Taiwan, Germany, Holland etc and wonder if it adds up to a bargain or balances it self out once the overall cost is worked out.

Do any of you buy components from China ?

Just curious, ok a nosey git, but just trying to find out if there any decent retailers you would recommend from abroad.

Pros & cons please from your own or other persons experiences.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It could be, you'd have to work in the shipping, duty and VAT.

There is no duty from the EU.

Problem with China, apart from the chances of something being counterfeit, are the delays in shipping, whether it will ever arrive, and the hassle when something goes wrong.

I've bought from EU sellers, would rather pay a bit more than deal with China.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Nothing is a bargain really. It's like when I go to the States - you expect Oakleys to be cheaper there ? Nope.
    Or to Italy - all that Italian kit must be cheaper there - nope.

I'd also be wary of spending big overseas in case it doesn't turn up or goes wrong. Better value in the UK if you look around.
  • I used to live in Germany and have bought a lot from German shops and continue to even now I’m back on the UK

Some of the best shops I’ve used are

Cycle-Basar.de
    Bike-components.de
    Bike24.de

Used mantel.com from Holland too. Some good deals to be had even with a crappy exchange rate. Good if your after conti tyres as German sites do seem a lot cheaper.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    There was a time a few years back when the big German shops used to be a little bit cheaper than the big UK shops even with the shipping factored in, but no longer it seems.

These days it's as easy and sometimes as quick to order from other EU countries as from the UK, but it's rarely any cheaper (of course with Brexit it's going to become a nightmare and UK prices will go up too thanks to the tossers who voted for that..).

I sometimes order from Italy, France or Germany when a shop there has something I can't get here. Just got this from France: https://www.cycletyres.com/campagnolo-b ... -4636.html Nowhere in the UK sells single Campagnolo wheels. Ordered on Friday and it arrived the next Wednesday by DPD.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Yes. I sourced a Merida Reacto from Italy, but sadly, the dealer suffered a fire and lost his stock. I got a full refund. I sourced another from France and completed a successful transaction. Both deals worked out around £250 cheaper than the UK even with shipping added on.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • StillGoing
    neeb wrote:
    There was a time a few years back when the big German shops used to be a little bit cheaper than the big UK shops even with the shipping factored in, but no longer it seems.

These days it's as easy and sometimes as quick to order from other EU countries as from the UK, but it's rarely any cheaper (of course with Brexit it's going to become a nightmare and UK prices will go up too thanks to the tossers who voted for that..).

I sometimes order from Italy, France or Germany when a shop there has something I can't get here. Just got this from France: https://www.cycletyres.com/campagnolo-b ... -4636.html Nowhere in the UK sells single Campagnolo wheels. Ordered on Friday and it arrived the next Wednesday by DPD.

Oh sorry if we didn't put your purchasing power before all other considerations. :roll: Wait until a trade deal is struck before spitting your dummy out and take your politics to the cake stop.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    philthy3 wrote:
    neeb wrote:

Oh sorry if we didn't put your purchasing power before all other considerations. :roll: Wait until a trade deal is struck before spitting your dummy out and take your politics to the cake stop.

Well its yours too.... notice you didnt buy a UK based manufacture.... oh wait !!!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    philthy3 wrote:
    neeb wrote:

It is broadly expected that prices will go up, so Neeb is right, and prices are rarely cheaper already (and of course returns are not as easy or cheap to do). So, he is pretty much on the money there and on topic too.

(If you're so sensitive to a quick casual swipe at brexit voters maybe take a second to stop the steam coming out of your ears, count to ten and don't bother replying).
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    philthy3 wrote:

Other considerations like what? There are no non-idiotic reasons for Brexit.

Just don't get me going on it, there is nothing right now that makes me angrier.

Worst thing recently was having to watch brain-dead 60-somethings from some culturally-flatlined English Midlands town say how they thought they deserved their triple-locked pension increases in line with inflation, paid for by the taxes of young working people who can't afford to buy a bedsit despite having a degree and a good job, when it was they who voted for the inflation in the first place for no other reason than to satisfy their petty parochial prejudices and condemning the younger generations to a likely considerably impoverished future.

(OK, it might be me who needs to count to 10 before replying, but some things just can't be tactfully ignored).
  • StillGoing
    Yes well, moving on and I suggest everyone saves the politics for cake stop. Just because we all ride bikes doesn't mean we have to have the same viewpoint on politics or religion; the two biggest causes of war and disharmony, which is why I don't visit cake stop.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Still no good reason to Brexit I see.....
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    I purchased my race bike from Rose in Germany.

Great kit, great service, spec the bike and no problems

Also bought my GT from Germany as I wanted the Euro colour. Again no hassle &cheaper than UK
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • I bought mine from Ireland (at the time the Euro was tanking, pound strong which made it instantly 15% cheaper) - homed in on a St Patrick's weekend offer (another 10%) and finally the shop called after I placed my online order & said if you're in the Irish Triathlon club (membership €15) there's another 10% off.

I wasn't in the ITC when I opened the phone call. I was when I put the phone down...

Net result was ~⅓ off all told.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I'll buy from anywhere except Italy - not because of the retailers but because its a nightmare getting anything in and out of the country due to the worst postal system anywhere.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.