Bikes for youngsters

einriba
einriba Posts: 319
edited October 2017 in MTB general
Hi all,

So my son is making the transition from 24" wheels to the adult area wheel sizes. He'll be on a small, or 16" frame.

He's really got the bug which is great and I'm keen to ride that wave and keep it going.

So we're looking at bikes. Initially around the £500-£600 mark, as this current wave may die off when he hits the dreaded teens.

At the moment I can't see past a boardman comp 27.5. For the money, it's hell of a bike. He likes the relaxed angles, air forks and 120mm travel as he prefers downhill and a few jumps. But he's prepared to ride the trails.

I like the Vitus Nucleus 275 VR but they are out of stock everywhere!.

Any other suggestions that are better than the boardman?
Getting up is the second hardest thing in the morning

Comments

• mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Looks good for the money, didn't someone post another bike that was a pretty good one at this price point, I seem to remember a GT from merlin, or something like that but can't recall.
  • mattyfez
    This looks interesting though, heavy discount and a bit more aggressive for jumps

https://www.merlincycles.com/diamondback-myers-20-mountain-bike-2017-105262.html

Only 15 inch frames in stock though by the looks of it.
  • einriba
    mattyfez wrote:
    This looks interesting though, heavy discount and a bit more aggressive for jumps

[url]<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.merlincycles.com/diamondback-myers-20-mountain-bike-2017-105262.html</span>[/url]

That does look really good, 140mm air forks! 50% off and his size. Like you said - more set up for jumps which is the direction i think he wants to go.
    mattyfez wrote:
    Looks good for the money, didn't someone post another bike that was a pretty good one at this price point, I seem to remember a GT from merlin, or something like that but can't recall.

Thanks for this - I did a search and couldn't see anything - I'l try again looking for a GT. I like that diamond back though!
  • mattyfez
    That diamond back looks pretty naughty for the money, there's a cheaper 1.0 version too.
  • einriba
    mattyfez wrote:
    That diamond back looks pretty naughty for the money, there's a cheaper 1.0 version too.

It's really good! Looks good fun. I'm almost tempted to give up the search and just buy that!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I'd go used and 26" wheels. You'll get a much better bike for your money and get most of that money back once it's too small.
    For £600 you'll get a really nice small Giant Trance.