Mastik Pro glue removal

mamba80
mamba80 Posts: 5,032
edited July 2018 in Workshop
Just used this stuff to glue a tub, its supposed to be water soluble and quote "easily removable with water to keep your hi end rims clean" followed the video to the letter and eveything was fine until i tried cleaning up the wheel.
BS! nothing get this off, water hot or cold, soap, detergent, Acetone, petrol nothing.

Never again, stick to Mastik One.

Any ideas for glue removal?

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    mamba80 wrote:
    Any ideas for glue removal?

Glue adhesion is 100% inversely dependent upon how much you want it to stick ... ie:-

if you have a child and a craft project then
    (1) you want the macaroni to stick to the card
    (2) you dont want the glue to stick to the carpet OR childs clothes or the cat

the result will be a carpet full of bits of macaroni where it wont stick to the card, but a cardigan and a cat and your carpet with welded on bits of glue.

so ... Take your bike to your wife and announce that the glue all over the wheel is excellent protection for the wheel now its winter AND the bumps work to displace air and make the wheel aero ...... guarantee you by tomorrow the glue will have fallen off and your wheels will be scratched
  • mamba80
    No i removed the glue by stealing a piece of beef, rubbing it on the cat and then burying the beef in the garden, within seconds all the glue was gone.

But thank you for your enlightening & useful idea, i ll file that one away........
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Never used it, sorry. TBH, a tub glue that dissolves in water sounds like an accident waiting to happen...
  • mamba80
    Imposter wrote:
    Never used it, sorry. TBH, a tub glue that dissolves in water sounds like an accident waiting to happen...

Maybe, but water based paints etc once cured don't wash off your house..... the first formula did have some reviews that suggested it might wash away, hence the new product.

However, this stuff isnt water soluble, at all!

on the plus side, the tub perfectly centred itself...just as they said it would....
  • Normal tub glue usually isn't usually required to be removed if your re gluing a tub, ie another coat of glue usually kind of dissolves the old glue and all is good.

This stuff sounds a little different perhaps?
  • mamba80
    Normal tub glue usually isn't usually required to be removed if your re gluing a tub, ie another coat of glue usually kind of dissolves the old glue and all is good.

This stuff sounds a little different perhaps?

i ve not got that far, i just want to clean any residue off the rim and brake track, i used water and cloth as suggested in their intructions and all that happened was i spread the stuff every where... its like Brer Rabbits Tar Baby.

WW has suggested car de greaser.....
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    schwalbe tub glue remover.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    This may seem an off-the-wall suggestion but do you have any of these plug-in air-fresheners around the house.

Reason is that we've found the perfumed oil in them to be the most effective paint/varnish/clear lacquer stripper ever invented. Our new oak dining table is testament to that when one of these fresheners tipped over and leaked some of its contents onto the table. Within minutes the oil had stripped the clear lacquer and leached out the stain in the underlying wood.

If you don't have any you can but refills online

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-X-AIRWICK-A ... 1090617438

or you may be able to get one from your local pound shop.

Might be worth a try as a last resort. At least your wheels will be left smelling wonderfully.
  • mamba80
    Well, what i did was dab the affected areas in white spirit, left it for 10mins, this softened it, then using a sharp plastic knife, removed as much as i could, rubbing the rest off with a kitchen scrubber!!! and more white spirit, degreased with Acetone.
    apparently panel prep de greasers work but i dont need 5 litres of the stuff.

bottom line is never use this this shitte, how Vittoria can boast "• Easy Clean Up: Mastik Pro cleans up with water. No more mess on your hands or on your rims" ...... is anyones guess, maybe drink bottled water only when in Italy?

Fortunately the tub is stuck well but how i ll clean the rim when i need to replace the tub is another matter, i 'd not want to risk laying normal cement on top of this stuff, Maybe scent refills are worth a try in this respect, thank you.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,552
    afaik it only cleans off with water while still wet, once dry it's stuck, otherwise it'd fail on wet rides

tbh i've not been tempted by it as vittoria make no mention of use with anything but their own tubs which have coated basetape, don't fancy binning all my old tubs that have been glued or have bare basetape, and out on the road there seems no way to fit a pre-glued tub to get home on

may not be the cheapest source...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hycote-Mainten ... B016LZGK10
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Tufo make something attractively called “Rim Cleaner”. Stinkiest stuff you will find, but it cuts through old glue like nothing else if you are determined to get the old glue off.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,140
    I removed my old glue and cleaned my rims using a blowtorch. Point it at the rims for 5 seconds at a time till it bubbles then wipe off using an old tea towel. Obviously fairly daunting taking a blowtorch to a carbon wheel but the glue melted and wiped off so quick I could still hold the rims in my bare hands. Absolutely no residue left - rims looked like new at the end.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    super_davo wrote:
    I removed my old glue and cleaned my rims using a blowtorch. Point it at the rims for 5 seconds at a time till it bubbles then wipe off using an old tea towel. Obviously fairly daunting taking a blowtorch to a carbon wheel but the glue melted and wiped off so quick I could still hold the rims in my bare hands. Absolutely no residue left - rims looked like new at the end.

WTAF? Seriously?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mamba80
    sungod wrote:
    afaik it only cleans off with water while still wet, once dry it's stuck, otherwise it'd fail on wet rides

tbh i've not been tempted by it as vittoria make no mention of use with anything but their own tubs which have coated basetape, don't fancy binning all my old tubs that have been glued or have bare basetape, and out on the road there seems no way to fit a pre-glued tub to get home on

may not be the cheapest source...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hycote-Mainten ... B016LZGK10

No it doesnt, it was tacky and no amount of water, hot or cold would remove it, all it did was spread the glue around, making a small problem far worse, i tried removing the glue as soon as i fitted the tub as per the video.

fwiw Vitt do say it works with any tubular, it doesnt completely dry out, a spare would just get stuck to the existing glue.

Cheers for the link though.

i ll skip the blow torch trick, it does work on Alloy, used it myself but no chance on carbon.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Hairdryer?
  • Gerula81
    Gerula81 Posts: 1
    Hi guys,

Any news on how to remove this glue? I made a total mess last night when installed my tubs, glue is all over the rims and tyres, of course it didn't came out with water, that has to be the most out of this world claim ever by a manufacturer by a mile..
    Now I'm waiting for the glue to dry and then try to remove the excess somehow. Any ideas? I have some schwalbe tub glue remover but I'm not so sure it will work as this is totally different to othea glues out there
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,552
    maybe scrubbing with acetone on a rough cloth? watch out for decals etc.

assuming mastik pro is acrylic-based (may not be) there might not be anything effective that will also be safe on the wheels/tyres, for instance methylene chloride might do it, but it might also attack the resins used for cf and/or the clearcoat, not worth the risk
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    super_davo wrote:

WTAF? Seriously?

I use a hot air paint remover, bit like a supercharged hair dryer. A couple of seconds on the old glue then rub it off with your hand in one of those thin cheap leather gardening gloves. Works a treat on both aluminium and carbon rims. Makes a mess of the glove though.
  • I always spend a bit of time "masking", my rims thoroughly with electrical tape right up to the rim edge, and a fair proportion of the carbon main section. That way, you can afford to get a bit messy with the glue/ tub mounting, and all you have to do is remove the tape afterwards.

It's particularly valuable when trying to mount Conti Comp tubs, as they are an absolute pig to get on, and usually result in glueing death-match wrestling affair...
  • ericmoss
    ericmoss Posts: 1
    Here's an experienced mechanic using the stuff, which I mention because close inspection reveals some techniques that aren't made explicit by the Vittoria videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEfM_ySzKOM&app=desktop

Watch it several times to catch all the subtleties.

When I used it the first time (before seeing this video), it was a godawful mess. My errors were: using too much on the rim and not letting it dry nearly enough before mounting the tubular. As to cleanup, do not use all those ghastly solvents. Let it dry and peel it off, or use CitraSolv. As usual, prevention is better than fixing afterward. I have had zero issues with the results, and like the fact that it doesn't smell like it will give me cancer, and it doesn't make a webby mess or dry too quickly to spread properly.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Dont you find gluing tubbs and cleaning up rims a massive and very expensive faff?