using phone as a computer

shiznit76
shiznit76 Posts: 640
edited October 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi, I know you can get ANT sensors for Garmins and such like for speed , cadence etc, but can you get a sensor to go on your bike and does the same with your phone being used as a computer?

Comments

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    The cadence sensor on my bike and my heart rate chest strap both talk Ant+ to Strava on my phone.If that is what you want it must be dead easy to do because I sorted it out without my kids help.The spec. for my phone was "the cheapest android phone that talks Ant+".
  • If you have an android phone it will most likely have Ant+ to do exactly as a garmin

If you have an iPhone you need a dongle to receive Ant+ Signals, for the mess about you may as well just get a cheap Garmin or other gps
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    If you have an android phone it will most likely have Ant+ to do exactly as a garmin

Actually more the opposite, it will most likely not have Ant+ by a long way, but a few Android Phones do.

You can patch a few, to get the BT stack to support it. Don't assume it will carry on working through different android updates though even if it intially works. So, better to have a device that already supports Ant+.

OP, there are BT sensors around too, not everything needs to be Ant+.
  • mfin wrote:
    If you have an android phone it will most likely have Ant+ to do exactly as a garmin

Actually more the opposite, it will most likely not have Ant+ by a long way, but a few Android Phones do.

By far the most popular android phone - Samsung Galaxy are all Ant+ , (I’ve owned the S4,S5 and now S7 all Ant+ and in that time all 3 have been the top selling android phone by a country mile)

So are HTC one series, and Sony Xperia, so without being a pedant, the top selling brands which people are most likely to own all do.
  • shiznit76
    mfin wrote:

You can patch a few, to get the BT stack to support it. Don't assume it will carry on working through different android updates though even if it intially works. So, better to have a device that already supports Ant+.

With these bluetooth sensors, what app do you use them with?
  • shiznit76
    mfin wrote:

By far the most popular android phone - Samsung Galaxy are all Ant+ , (I’ve owned the S4,S5 and now S7 all Ant+ and in that time all 3 have been the top selling android phone by a country mile)

So are HTC one series, and Sony Xperia, so without being a pedant, the top selling brands which people are most likely to own all do.

Does Strava work ok on your S7, when i first got mine when they come out these was an issue with it not going in to auto pause, read on forums that this was a fairly common issue with the S7
  • shiznit76 wrote:
    mfin wrote:

With these bluetooth sensors, what app do you use them with?

Well there are a few. Wahoo do Bluetooth hrm and speed/cadence sensors. But, one thing mfin neglects to mention is - you can only Bluetooth to one device at a time! So that pisses on that idea.
  • mfin
    Shiz, remember that most people soon see the light regarding using their phone as a bike computer and forget it. It is much easier to have a dedicated bike computer, there are plenty to be had second hand too. Batteries last ages, and your phone can remain safely in your pocket.

You mentioned speed and cadence sensors, you can choose the speed just to be done by the GPS, and that really leaves Heart Rate straps and Power Meters as things you'd wanna connect. Have a think what you need and want. Just as an example a s/h Garmin 500 will connect to any and all of these things (ANT+), and you see them sell for under £100.

If I was you I'd just go looking at bike computers and do a pre-shop look at all the things the various ones can do so that you can work out what you'd want to get.
  • shiznit76
    mfin wrote:
    Shiz, remember that most people soon see the light regarding using their phone as a bike computer and forget it. It is much easier to have a dedicated bike computer, there are plenty to be had second hand too. Batteries last ages, and your phone can remain safely in your pocket.

You mentioned speed and cadence sensors, you can choose the speed just to be done by the GPS, and that really leaves Heart Rate straps and Power Meters as things you'd wanna connect. Have a think what you need and want. Just as an example a s/h Garmin 500 will connect to any and all of these things (ANT+), and you see them sell for under £100.

If I was you I'd just go looking at bike computers and do a pre-shop look at all the things the various ones can do so that you can work out what you'd want to get.

Cheers Buddy.
    I have a Garmin 200, but it is pretty dated and facnied upgrade for cadence and HR really
  • mfin
    shiznit76 wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Cheers Buddy.
    I have a Garmin 200, but it is pretty dated and facnied upgrade for cadence and HR really

Just flog it and get a used 500 then, job done!
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    shiznit76 wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Does Strava work ok on your S7, when i first got mine when they come out these was an issue with it not going in to auto pause, read on forums that this was a fairly common issue with the S7

You may be right. Many times when I have tried to use my S7 the ride has not recorded properly. I tended to have to use it when I forgot to charge my Garmin but after several lost rides I am more diligent with the Garmin.

However the Ant+ of the S7 is good for the likes of TrainerRoad.
  • Navrig2 wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:
    mfin wrote:

You may be right. Many times when I have tried to use my S7 the ride has not recorded properly. I tended to have to use it when I forgot to charge my Garmin but after several lost rides I am more diligent with the Garmin.

However the Ant+ of the S7 is good for the likes of TrainerRoad.

I’ve never tried since I own a Garmin. But I do know people who do without a problem.