Freehub failure

treknightmare
treknightmare Posts: 5
edited October 2017 in Road beginners
Hi. I'm a long time reader here but this is my first post. I hope I'm in the right place!
I was just wondering about an issue I have with my Trex fx 7.2 and LBS. My freehub has rusted through making my bike unrideable. It is 19 weeks old, is never locked outside, is never ridden in the rain, it is kept indoors and other than being caught out in a couple of light showers, it only comes into contact with water when I clean the thing.
My LBS (Evans) who I bought it from wants to charge me for the repair which I'm disputing. Anyone else had a new freehub die in under 5 months from new? How long should they last?
Thanks.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    never had a freehub rust, let alone rust through. the actual hub or the bearings. And do you ever use a jetwash.

But I would expect some sort of backup, anything going within 6 months is not fit for purpose.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Pictures please - never heard of a freehub rusting through so would be intrigued to see.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Hi.
    I’ve never used any form of jet wash. I only use warm water, and a lint free cloth, no chemicals or solvents. The guy from Evans said that the hub rusting was a “maintenance issue” i.e. my fault. He had nothing further to offer when I asked exactly how to maintain a sealed freehub other than to do what I have been doing for the past 19 weeks. Hopeless.
  • Pictures please - never heard of a freehub rusting through so would be intrigued to see.
    I don't have the technology to do so at present but I'm working on it!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Coolio!
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Having spent half of this morning reading up on The Sale of Goods Act 1994 and The Consumer Rights Act 2015 and composing a letter outlining where my LBS was failing to meet their legal obligations, they dropped the labour charge for the repair. They had already dropped the charge for the replacement freehub part. Neither of these were acts of charity. They were legally obliged to do both. Don’t put up with BS from your LBS. I was still livid that they tried to shift the blame onto me.

Also don’t let them fob you off with the “the terms of the warranty you have is between the customer and the manufacturer”. This is legally wrong. You have no contract whatsoever with the manufacturer. You pay the shop – the contract/warranty therefore is between the retailer and you the customer. Any manufacturer’s warranty is in addition to your rights under The Consumer Rights Act 2015. That applies to anything you buy, be it a bike or a bulldozer, which in the case of my old Raliegh MTB amounts to pretty much the same thing!

The same Act also states that if a fault develops in the first six months, in law it’s deemed to have been there when you made the purchase.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Hi. I'm a long time reader here but this is my first post. I hope I'm in the right place!
    I was just wondering about an issue I have with my Trex fx 7.2 and LBS. My freehub is made of cheese, has rusted through making my bike unrideable. It is 19 weeks old, is never locked outside, is never ridden in the rain, it is kept indoors and other than being caught out in a couple of light showers, it only comes into contact with water when I clean the thing.
    My LBS (Evans) who I bought it from wants to charge me for the repair which I'm disputing. Anyone else had a new freehub die in under 5 months from new? How long should they last?
    Thanks.
    FIFY... :D
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I can't see how it could rust through. We definitely need pictures.