Forum home Family & kids cycling forum

First Night time ride

slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,498
edited October 2017 in Family & kids cycling forum
It was dark - but we had a bit of street lighting - warm, no rain - he had his lights on and I had to fit some to mine PDQ... quick 10-15 minute ride up the road and back again - chasing Shadows :)

• oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,852
    Take him off roading in the dark. My youngest was around 6/7 and we went on local gravel trails and through a wood and he loved it up to the point he realized an owl was flying at the side off him. Bless him he nearly crapped himself. Been out loads of times, even got stopped by the police one night as they where intrigued by red light bobbing in the woods, I'd put a aldi special red flashy thing on top of his helmet. He still loves doing night rides now at 12. I say keep taking them out.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,498
    We don't really do much offroading - there's a cyclepath we get up to - but at just over 2yo he's not going to go that far anyway - but I certainly don't intend the dark to stop our little ride-outs - rain might do though ;)
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,852
    That's what we like to see, starting them off young. Rain puts most people off, keep it up and hopefully he'll be as into biking as you.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,498
    Hmm - rain didn't put him off .... ok - it was just a drizzle - meant he had puddles to splash in too ... on the dark cyclepath I put my Cateye on flash mode and all he said was "Can't see" with a grin on his face ...