fuji vs caad

jempi
jempi Posts: 58
edited October 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi, i need some advice.
I'm doubting between a CAAD 12 105 disc and a Fuji Roubaix disc 1.1
The bike would be used for my daily commute. My commute is 17km /11mi long (single).
But 7km/4,5mi is on gravel/old/bad/country roads. The other 10km/7mi are straight ahaed tarmac next to a ringway.
I want a fast rocket with no fuzz. For the days i need comfort i have my hybride that im riding now, a 6 years old giant crs 4.0.
For the bad roads i would choose a disc version with more clearance and fit conti 4000 28mm or schwalbe g-one speed 32mm tyres
My budget is round 2000€/1800£
On the Caad i would upgrade the wheels to dt swiss 32.
The fuji is a litlle bit cheaper and has a mix of ultegra/105 and is delivered with Oval 723 wheels, should not be upgraded as i was told...

Any thoughts on this? Or other bikes that could fit the ride better...
Thanks Jempi !

Comments

• CAAD.

/thread

I'd be perfectly happy on a CAAD12 with 28s for gravelly roads, tbh. Not sure if they'll clear any more than that officially, maybe 30mm?
  • jempi
    In the shop they told me the disc version has a clearance of 32mm max.

Nobody takes it up for the fuji?

J.
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    Fuji's are great bikes as are the Cannondales. I've got a Fuji SL, the Oval wheelsets are quite heavy, I'd probably see if I could change the rear wheel only if I was on a budget.

Are you sure about the bikes you've chosen? If you have a good back and can nearly touch your toes maybe you should get something with a shorter head tube. Long head tubes are great if you need it, but a hindrance if you don't.

Also with your budget you could probably stretch to a low end carbon fibre bike especially a 2017 discount, which in my opinion ride a bit nicer.

Also the Fuji stock tires are terrible, but I wouldn't switch them for Schwalbe G-Ones unless you have tubeless wheels. For commuting Gatorskins or 4 seasons 28mm.
  • jempi
    Thanks for the feedback! My back is not bad and i can almost reach my toes :)
    However i still have some doubts about my choices to.
    My first choice was caadx se, the cx version of the caad. Maybe it still is a better choice for everyday commuting.
    I just dont dont wan to end with a slow endurance machine thats made for long rides.
    I do short rides on mixed terrain and i like to go fast ( as lightning ;p )
    J.
  • ZMC888
    Jempi wrote:
    My first choice was caadx se, the cx version of the caad. Maybe it still is a better choice for everyday commuting.
    I just dont dont wan to end with a slow endurance machine thats made for long rides.
    J.
    Personally I think gravel and endurance bikes are just marketing unless you have limited back movement. I've done a 430km ride on my regular climbing bike with 3000 meters of ascent over 15 hours so for me they're not necessary.

In your circumstance I'd buy a disk CX bike or an all round/climbing bike that can take 28mm tires. Forget the endurance bikes - even for endurance IMHO. However take a close look at the road or trails you'll be riding on dirt? tarmac? surface dressed? Glass? Flints? potholed? and try to get tires to suit you. That will be the most important consideration. :D
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    CAAD. Superb bike. No brainier.

Why go low end end carbon when you can have a brilliant CAAD?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    CAAD. Superb bike. No brainier.

Why go low end end carbon when you can have a brilliant CAAD?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    CAAD.
    I had a CAAD 10 and wanted tp "upgrade" so bought a supersix.
    Then I sold the supersix and bought a CAAD 12 as my summer bike - it's awesome.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    ZMC888 wrote:
    Personally I think gravel and endurance bikes are just marketing unless you have limited back movement. I've done a 430km ride on my regular climbing bike* with 3000 meters of ascent over 15 hours so for me they're not necessary.

* also marketing :D
  • Matthewfalle
    i thought it was an "all rounder" and therefore not a "climbing bike" as its an "all rounder" and would therefore not be a "climbing bike" but an "all rounder"?

with best regards

Confused of the Vale of Glamorgan

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    CAAAAAAD !!!!!

everyone should have one .. I bought a CAAD10 ... its now my go to bike .. I cannot find fault with it (the BB30 was swapped before I bought it)

If ever my carbon S-works dissolves in the rain or snaps on the turbo, I am replacing it with a CAAD12 as a best bike, purely on the strength of the caad10 :smitten:

infact, you have just reminded me how much I love it .. I think I might treat it to some new wheels
  • Matthewfalle
    So CAAD it is then.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ZMC888
    fat daddy wrote:
    CAAAAAAD !!!!!

everyone should have one .. I bought a CAAD10 ... its now my go to bike .. I cannot find fault with it (the BB30 was swapped before I bought it)

If ever my carbon S-works dissolves in the rain or snaps on the turbo, I am replacing it with a CAAD12 as a best bike, purely on the strength of the caad10 :smitten:

infact, you have just reminded me how much I love it .. I think I might treat it to some new wheels
    Glad for you re-education. I hope the electro-shock therapy and pills haven't left too much of a permanent scars. :D
  • ZMC888
    Jempi wrote:
    J.
    SHIT!
    Forget what I said!!!!

What you actually need is Cannondale CAAD. It's not made of recycled window frames, the ride isn't harsh as fuck and the bottom bracket is perfectly machined with no problems whatsoever. Your dentist's accountant will thank you.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    ZMC888 wrote:
    Caution. A mentally ill person has over 5 accounts, disregard most of comments. :lol:

So basically - anyone who disagrees with you is a troll with multiple accounts?
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    ZMC888 wrote:
    Jempi wrote:
    J.
    shoot!
    Forget what I said!!!!

What you actually need is Cannondale CAAD. It's not made of recycled window frames, the ride isn't harsh as fark and the bottom bracket is perfectly machined with no problems whatsoever. Your dentist's accountant will thank you.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... 105-49861/

In the above review the mentally ill trolls who do roadtests for Bike Radar awarded the CAAD12 their bike of the year award 2016 and amongst other accolades they praised the excellent ride quality that "eats up the rough stuff". Please disregard anything they say as they're obviously making it up or at least they must be if you believe ZMC who clearly isn't mental at all. Not even a bit.
    On a more serious note, the jury's out on the bottom bracket and I can't speak from personal experience, but if you agree with those who say it's a POS then apparently there's a workaround that fixes it. Seems like it's a really good bike to me.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    What is a hybride?
  • Matthewfalle
    isn't when you say hello to someone who is getting married?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • jempi
    a hybrid is like this:
    http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/giant/crs-4-0-2009

My good old CRS :lol:
  • jempi
    by the way, i have chosen for CAADX.
    Wheels & tires will be a key factor with my schizo route so i wan to have flexibilty there. CAAD12 disc has only 28mm clearence.

If i'm lucky they did remove the window and my dentist is a lovely gal. My teeth are gone anyway cause all the harddrugs i did in the nineties, so no bother their either !!
    Still like the Fuji, but had the best deal and feeling at the cannondale shop.
    The roubaix is also aluminium by the way. The SL not, but i totaly agree on the "beter top alu than cheap carbon" statement.

BUT, i'm still not there !! if you want you can folow my new adventures on my new post "cannoTdale":
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13086333
    and give me some more of that cheeky advice :lol:

Have a nice day, Jempi !