Sticky Rockshox SID fork?

surfbodi
surfbodi Posts: 23
edited October 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all. Hoping for some help on this. I have a 2011 Rockshox SID fork on my Whyte hardtail. 120mm travel. I find when the bike has been unused for a while and is at room sort of temperature the fork feels really good through its travel. As it did on my commute this morning. While riding home in bad weather though the fork becomes increasingly stiff to the point it virtually locks out. If I let the pressure out the fork again can be moved up and down freely. It really doesn't like cold or wet at all. For a 2011 fork it looks to be in excellent condition. I have noticed that the rebound adjuster is having limited effect as well. Anyone else had this problem? Its spoiling my bike :( Thanks!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    When did they last have a service?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    When did they last have a service?
    They had a basic oil change and look over when I bought them off ebay last year. The mechanic seemed to think they were in good order. I guess the obvious thing is to get a full service done but it would cost almost as much as the fork is worth. I was just wondering if it's a common fault with the Sid fork. Ta.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or just follow the simple DIY instructions and service them yourself, I just recovered some very sorry looking RS forks and it's cost me £24.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.