Sell road bikes for a CX bike?

fudgey
fudgey Posts: 854
edited October 2017 in Road general
Evening all.

Having a bit of think with what to do with my collection of road bikes...

I have a bit of a thing for Colnago's and have an AC-R, this was bought blind off the net and always felt a little too big, so bought a size smaller CX-Zero alloy for winter use - then last year had a little windfall so bought a C60 and took the AC-R to Spain to leave at the inlaws apartment and use while on holiday.
Well, I'm now getting a divorce and its unlikely that ill go there again so brought the AC-R home in August.

Now, ill deffo keep the C60 but don't have the need for the AC-R, so thinking of selling that and the CX-Zero to fund a CX bike.

This would then become the winter/general use bike. One thing im not sure of is that one i have my eye on is a 1x11 with 40t front ring.

Not sure how good that would be as it would mostly be used on the road, but of course with the option for off road use.

Or just keep what i already have..?
My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Fudgey wrote:

This would then become the winter/general use bike. One thing im not sure of is that one i have my eye on is a 1x11 with 40t front ring.

whats on the cassette a 1x11 can easily give you the needed range for a road bike, sure the jumps are bigger, but generally speaking if done properly the jumps are only bigger at the spinny end of the cassette where you dont need the close ratio anyway

I used to worry about 1x11 on the road, but it really only makes a difference if trying to go at your limit for prolonged periods in a group ride where changing 1 tooth to counter the wind/draft/gradient makes all the difference.

When you cycle on your own, you really dont notice as you just subconsciously change your cadence and speed to suit.

If you are keeping the C60 you have a distance road bike the 1x11 CX bike will probably be fine I run 11-28:44 on one bike and 11-42:38 on another

the 38t I sometimes spin out on when going steep .. the 44t I havnt spun out on .. but thats because of the nature of the bike .... I dont take them for rides where I am doing 40mph + down hills ..... on that sort of ride I would be riding my proper road bike .. in yourcase the C60

so you need to be honest with your self .... yes on a steep road you could be spinning out the 40t .. .but will you be using the bike for that and that sort of speeds ?
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    I do do longer rides on the winter bike, and the C60 only comes out when its dry.
    maybe i should just sell some other stuff and n+1 haha
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...