Advice new bike cervelo or bianchi

baz69
baz69 Posts: 94
edited October 2017 in Road buying advice
Looking for some advice currently running a specialized sl4 roubaix with shimano 105,looking to upgrade like the look of the cervelo s3 and r3 2018 model with ultegra or bianchi Infinito cv with ultegra ,question is would this be a worthwhile upgrade fro my current bike I use it for weekend spins and some sportives mostly 100k spins with few hills ,not racing just trying to keep fit but want to push myself a little bit more ,I will be going rim brakes as I have cosmic elites on current bike ,any advice appreciated

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Whether these bikes will be a worthwhile upgrade nobody can answer but you. That said, if you can list the qualities you are after, ones you consider desirable that you feel are lacking from your current bike, that would help.

What's not clear is how hard your rides are, as in how much you hard effort you put into them, do you push the limits of the handling of bikes you ride, what are you trying to achieve? How old are you? Etc etc.
  • baz69
    Thanks for reply,I am 53 reasonably fit ,I go out most days for maybe 30k spins and weekends 60 k + ,I can hold 26 kmh no problem on reasonable surface but hills I struggle on,my cadence is avg 82 and speed avg is 20 kmh after a 60k spin in normal conditions but add in some hills and I struggle,i I like the relaxed geometry so don't want to go to aggressive,I thought maybe going something bit lighter and stiffer with better groupset would help me hold better averages and making climbing easier ,I really like the look and specs of the bianchi infinito cv ultegra
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I think if your rides are relatively flat and you don't like hills then don't expect the logic that getting a slightly lighter bike will make you a better climber, or the climbing easier, it won't noticeably at all. The Roubaix is pretty good regards power transfer too by the way, I think that's what you really mean when you are thinking of stiffness most likely.

So, with climbing not going to drastically or noticeably improve due to the bike, that leaves looking at the average speed. There won't be much in the way of aero gains to be had, especially as you like relaxed geometry. So, the best gains you are going to get on average speed are going to be down mostly to you having a bike that you feel excited about and that you put in more effort on, this can be down to you liking it and it inspiring you a lot more than anything else. Obviously different bikes feel different too, swapping run of the mill wheelsets for better ones can make things feel a fair bit more spritely too.

I think you're most likely gonna do best by buying something you like, that fits well, and if that's the Bianchi that's as good a reason as any. If it inspires you to put in more effort in turn, those averages will go up.

Other people might say different.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    All great bikes, so choose with your heart - which of these do you most like the look of. Then choose the Bianchi.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I'd go along with the above... if you fancy a new bike then get a new bike but, other than the placebo affect which comes with getting a new bike, I wouldn't expect it to make much of a difference... assuming the Specky fits ok.

Maybe a new set of wheels would be a better purchase?

That said, I'm a bit of a Cervelo addict and the R series are just about the best handling bikes I've ever ridden.
  • Get and Aero race bike with deep section wheels, Aero helmet, full team kit or the Pink Rapha outfit. With all that you will be too embarassed to ride slowly. This will be the thing that gets you faster.
  • Cervelo S3 - great bike but an S2 is just as good but with 105 for a lot cheaper.

Infinito is such a comfortable bike to ride all day, it glides over bumps and you feel you could ride all day on it. Neither bike are particularly light but weight isn’t everything. I would say choose comfort or aero but it seems that’s become an urban myth on BR.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Ride them and then decide.
  • baz69
    Thanks for all replies some great advice as usual ,I am most likely going to change had roubaix fo 3 years now and enjoyed it but new bike new goals I understand as there all carbon iam not going to see much diff in weight of different bikes so altough iam not set on which one to go for ,what are the noticeable differences with these bikes ,am staying with rim brakes as I want to keep the cosmic elites I have,the cervelo sr and r3 what are the difference in these models and also the bianchi infinito cv ,ultegra ,chorus ,potenza,have only ever used shimano ,the bianchi is part of their endurance range which seems to be the area iam looking at unsure what category the cervelos are in ,iam never going to race but there are some 150 / 200 k runs with some hills I would like to aim for next year so comfort is also important,the cervelo also comes in di2 but is it worth the extra over ultegra
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You need to ride them.
  • baz69 wrote:
    Thanks for all replies some great advice as usual ,I am most likely going to change had roubaix fo 3 years now and enjoyed it but new bike new goals I understand as there all carbon iam not going to see much diff in weight of different bikes so altough iam not set on which one to go for ,what are the noticeable differences with these bikes ,am staying with rim brakes as I want to keep the cosmic elites I have,the cervelo sr and r3 what are the difference in these models and also the bianchi infinito cv ,ultegra ,chorus ,potenza,have only ever used shimano ,the bianchi is part of their endurance range which seems to be the area iam looking at unsure what category the cervelos are in ,iam never going to race but there are some 150 / 200 k runs with some hills I would like to aim for next year so comfort is also important,the cervelo also comes in di2 but is it worth the extra over ultegra
    Invest in some full stops while you are shopping.
  • baz69
    Will do,thanks.