Carbon road frame with "proper" mudguards

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited October 2017 in Road buying advice
I know there is a post on this from a week ago or so but it got a bit bogged down with tips the OP hadn't asked for (discs, clip-ons etc).

In this day and age of a billion genres of bikes, is the Dolan Dual really the only road, rim brake, carbon frameset in the world with mudguard eyelets and provision for long drop brakes?

Ribble seem to have dropped their 365 Sportive and Hewitt's Carbon Audax also seems to have vanished.

Are there any at all we're missing?

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Trek Domane ??? .. dunno about long drop brakes, but sure its got eyelets for guards
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    I know there is a post on this from a week ago or so but it got a bit bogged down with tips the OP hadn't asked for (discs, clip-ons etc).

In this day and age of a billion genres of bikes, is the Dolan Dual really the only road, rim brake, carbon frameset in the world with mudguard eyelets and provision for long drop brakes?

Ribble seem to have dropped their 365 Sportive and Hewitt's Carbon Audax also seems to have vanished.

As stated in a response to that earlier thread, the Trek Domane frame comes with Trek's own proprietary "hidden" mudguard fitting eyelets. Not sure about the long drop brake question. Also not sure about the capacity of the Domane frame wrt decent volume tyres (25's or 28's) with the mudguards in place.

This post would suggest that 25's could be a bit tight so maybe 28's are out of the question.

viewtopic.php?t=12995723
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198

My research would suggest it is the only one. - unless you get into gravel bike territory - then the Tifossi Cavallo looks a a good proced option
  • There is an annoying lack of carbon frames with proper mudguard eyes. I nearly went for the Hewitt a couple of years ago, which as you say has disappeared from the line up but was the best option if a little pricey.
    I settled for the Dolan Dual which is a good choice but one annoyance is the clearance. It was advertised as being suitable for 25mm tyres but with Bluemels mudguards I only have room for 23mm. Not the end of the world but annoying non the less.
  • kingrollo wrote:
    My research would suggest it is the only one. - unless you get into gravel bike territory - then the Tifossi Cavallo looks a a good proced option

Is that not really odd? I'm not saying carbon is the be all and end all but neither is it so precious and expensive to use on a winter bikes. I wonder why Hewitt and Ribble stopped theirs.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    kingrollo wrote:

Is that not really odd? I'm not saying carbon is the be all and end all but neither is it so precious and expensive to use on a winter bikes. I wonder why Hewitt and Ribble stopped theirs.

I think the market has shifted to adventure bikes. I t would even seem that the dolan with mudguards can not take 25mm tyres.
    Im staying with Alu for my winter bike - due to lack of options
  • PlanetX should throw some eyelets onto their Pro Carbon frameset, add another £100 to the price and get another 10 years of sales from it....
  • n1ckster
    n1ckster Posts: 158
    You could look for a used 2014/15 Specialized Roubaix frame as they have proper removable mudguard eyelets. I couldn't comment on the ability to cater for long drop calipers as mine is a disc, but worth a look?
    Nick
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Ugo has relatively recently acquired and built up a Dolan Dual frameset. He might be able to advise on tyre clearance although I seem to recall that he is not a great fan of mudguards so he may not have attempted to fit them

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13079688
  • I did have a Carbon Trek Madone 3.1 that had mudguards eyes on until it got knicked, by then looking to replace with the same they had removed that feature.
  • I know you're asking for carbon, but how about Kinesis 4s or their Titaniium offer - Granfondo?
  • A mate has a GT Grade which takes full mudguards and I am sure if you shop around you can get a carbon one for about 1k!!
  • A mate has a GT Grade which takes full mudguards and I am sure if you shop around you can get a carbon one for about 1k!!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-grade-carbon ... road-bike/

Like this??
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    There is an annoying lack of carbon frames with proper mudguard eyes. I nearly went for the Hewitt a couple of years ago, which as you say has disappeared from the line up but was the best option if a little pricey.
    I settled for the Dolan Dual which is a good choice but one annoyance is the clearance. It was advertised as being suitable for 25mm tyres but with Bluemels mudguards I only have room for 23mm. Not the end of the world but annoying non the less.

At the moment I'm running Micheling Pro4 endurance 25 tyres (actually 27 mm wide) with full 35 mm sks chromoplastics. No problem. I'm not certain that any bigger is OK
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    GT Grade carbon with PDW fenders
    x01nHzX.jpg
  • ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    Went down this road a few years back and ended up going Titanium. Haven't looked back.
  • Real shame Ribble stopped selling the 365 sportive. I built one up with SKS mudguards fitted and 28mm tyres, lovely bike for long bad weather rides, weighs less than 9 kg too.