De Rosa Idol Alternatives

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited October 2017 in Road buying advice
Nothing imminent - But I hope to treat myself to a new bike over the next 12 months or so.

One that has caught my eye is the de rosa idol. I have a couple of concerns though:-

1.I have a history of back and hip problems - and wonder if the de rosa would put me in to racy \ low\ stretched out position.
2.Reviews aren't great - I know you can't go on them - but when a few are saying much the same it makes u wonder

My cycling is mainly club runs and the odd sportive. Current bike is a Kuota Kharma - I had a bike fit from adrian timmis which put me in a quite a upright position and is very comfortable for me.

Apart from looks, the cervelo s2 would appear to suit my needs better - but I just love how that de rosa looks !

So any suggestions for something as sexy as the Idol - but with more relaxed geometry

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    You've got back problems which mean you have an upright position, and yet you say a Cervelo S2 will suit you quite well? How did you come to that, you mean the geometry at your size puts you upright enough? You can't mean the aero side of things suits you if you right upright and do club runs and the odd sportif.

I mention this as it is difficult to suggest anything without shedding some light on this logic, as it seems people might as well suggest absolutely anything really as long as it's not too long and low and has two wheels.

An S2 is not that relaxed even though it's not that aggressive either, it's more "in the middle-ish", even though it is a bit more sit up than the idol.
  • kingrollo
    mfin wrote:
    You've got back problems which mean you have an upright position, and yet you say a Cervelo S2 will suit you quite well? How did you come to that, you mean the geometry at your size puts you upright enough? You can't mean the aero side of things suits you if you right upright and do club runs and the odd sportif.

I mention this as it is difficult to suggest anything without shedding some light on this logic, as it seems people might as well suggest absolutely anything really as long as it's not too long and low and has two wheels.

An S2 is not that relaxed even though it's not that aggressive either, it's more "in the middle-ish", even though it is a bit more sit up than the idol.

Is there something that looks as good as the Idol - but with more relaxed geometry.

I m only after suggestions - Not looking for anyone to set anything in stone.
  • mfin
    kingrollo wrote:

Is there something that looks as good as the Idol - but with more relaxed geometry.

Well, looks are subjective, I don't think the Idol looks good at all. If it was badged "Ribble" I doubt you'd give it a second look. So, there will be stacks of bikes that look as good or better in my opinion, you could almost pick one at random.

I think what you are really asking is what bikes are there outside of the big manufacturers that people don't often think of, ones which also have relaxed geometry, so that you can consider them. Sound more like it?
  • is this another vague question with no right or wrong answer ?
    Hopefully the goal posts will move and we can debate until another idea pops into someones head.
    so in answer , yes buy a De Rosa as you think it looks smashing..
  • kingrollo
    mfin wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

Well, looks are subjective, I don't think the Idol looks good at all. If it was badged "Ribble" I doubt you'd give it a second look. So, there will be stacks of bikes that look as good or better in my opinion, you could almost pick one at random.

I think what you are really asking is what bikes are there outside of the big manufacturers that people don't often think of, ones which also have relaxed geometry, so that you can consider them. Sound more like it?

Lol - thats exactly it !!!!!!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    How about one of the Wilier Endurance models? They're pretty nice looking bikes with a reasonably relaxed geometry and you don't see too many of them on British roads.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    mfin wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

Have you seen one in the flesh? Looks a lot better than in pics
  • mfin
    cld531c wrote:
    Have you seen one in the flesh? Looks a lot better than in pics

No, I must admit I haven't, I was going by photos. Some bikes aren't photogenic and some are, that's very true.

Going from all the photos I can see of it when searching there's nothing to suggest it will look good in the flesh though.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    They are good looking bikes in the flesh. Very elaborate tube shapes. Colours are pretty drab though. I used to have one until a big online retailer destroyed it whilst warranty work was being carried out.
    I found the bike very comfortable even though I had the stem slammed. I can't see anyone finding it uncomfortable. Any bike can be made fairly comfortable if you don't mind a stack of spacers and experimenting with set up.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    noodleman wrote:
    They are good looking bikes in the flesh. Very elaborate tube shapes. Colours are pretty drab though. I used to have one until a big online retailer destroyed it whilst warranty work was being carried out.
    I found the bike very comfortable even though I had the stem slammed. I can't see anyone finding it uncomfortable. Any bike can be made fairly comfortable if you don't mind a stack of spacers and experimenting with set up.

Like this??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cinelli-Saetta-XL58cm-Full-Carbon-20speed-Racer-Full-Campagnolo-Centaur-Groupset-/222654032268?hash=item33d736e98c:g:Kk8AAOSw-89ZSbFw
  • kingrollo
    i.bhamra wrote:
    noodleman wrote:

Like this??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cinelli-Saetta-XL58cm-Full-Carbon-20speed-Racer-Full-Campagnolo-Centaur-Groupset-/222654032268?hash=item33d736e98c:g:Kk8AAOSw-89ZSbFw

Thats Brighton isnt it ?
  • mfin
    i.bhamra wrote:
    noodleman wrote:

Like this??

Where it says "Make Offer" maybe offer to come around and cut all that sh1t off the front.

(That's a great comedy bike you've spotted ..."ultimate performance road machine,great climber and descends very well balanced", how would the bloke know? Also spare a moment to smile at the fat bloke riding past with a sportive number taking a glance).
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    mfin wrote:
    i.bhamra wrote:
    noodleman wrote:

Like this??

Where it says "Make Offer" maybe offer to come around and cut all that sh1t off the front.

(That's a great comedy bike you've spotted ..."ultimate performance road machine,great climber and descends very well balanced", how would the bloke know? Also spare a moment to smile at the fat bloke riding past with a sportive number taking a glance).

It wasn't my intention to take the p**s, just pointing out an example (albeit quite an extreme one) of what can happen if you choose a bike with an unsuitable geometry for your personal needs just because it looked cool....
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    kingrollo wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

Lol - thats exactly it !!!!!!

Look 765?