Seat lowering gremlins

redbikejohn
redbikejohn Posts: 160
edited October 2017 in Road general
Does anyone else have a gremlin in their garage that keeps lowering their seat height half a mm a week so that you don't notice ....... until your knees are around your ears :shock:

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Comments

• Yeah, they were messing with my 1983 Miyata 710. Made me second-guess myself a whole bunch every time I hopped on the bike.

Putting a mark on the seatpost at the level of the clamp seemed to discourage their antics.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Maybe you're growing.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    Electrical take is the answer.

If you have children your size (which I do) and if you lend bikes outside the family (ditto), then they will come back to you with the seat ever-so-slightly out.

Electrical tape is good.... or on metal posts a scratched arrow with initials....
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    do you find this happens when you wear less padded shorts?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Debeli wrote:
    Electrical take is the answer.

If you have children your size (which I do) and if you lend bikes outside the family (ditto), then they will come back to you with the seat ever-so-slightly out.

Electrical tape is good.... or on metal posts a scratched arrow with initials....

noooooo! don't go scratching schizzle. barbarian.

little paint brush or straw from wd can. tiny blob of paint. sorted.

don't go scratching stuff..........
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Usually happens when I wear these:
    0_SWEAR_ALTERNATIVE_Platform_Shoes_EU43_UK95_US10_Cyber_Rave_Goth_Punk_Retro_90s_MTQyNTMxMzAxNDM0_medium.jpg
  • Try these instead.
    goldfish-shoes.png?w=450&h=254
  • trekvet
    trekvet Posts: 223
    Either it the kids as per above, in which case lock yours and buy them their own bike/s. On the other hand if the post is slipping like one of mine did, could put a seatpost or handlebar reflector clamp, or two, on the post resting on the seatpostclamp. It stopped mine from slipping.
    The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Use some carbon assembly paste on the seatpost. It will stop it slipping without having to go all gorilla on the seatpost clamp.

(I did once use a jubilee clip on one of the kids' bikes when the cheese-based clamp bolt stopped working. Hideous but effective)
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Usually happens when I wear these:
    0_SWEAR_ALTERNATIVE_Platform_Shoes_EU43_UK95_US10_Cyber_Rave_Goth_Punk_Retro_90s_MTQyNTMxMzAxNDM0_medium.jpg

maybe trying pairing them with these:

article-0-0D2D21E700000578-930_233x271.jpg
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Matthewfalle
    TrekVet wrote:
    Either it the kids as per above, in which case lock yours and buy them their own bike/s. On the other hand if the post is slipping like one of mine did, could put a seatpost or handlebar reflector clamp, or two, on the post resting on the seatpostclamp. It stopped mine from slipping.

What an ugly "solution". Hideous. Don't do this.

Do as Keef suggests or, in a similar vein, copperslip.

Scratching this, random reflector clamps that.... barbarians.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I had a Gitane with Columbus tubing measuring internal dia seat tube v external dia seat post using a manual vernier caliper the same!
    After a reasonable ride notice the seat had dropped 2cms.
    After trying many different solutions my favourite and least damaging made up a sleeve out of a coke tin put it in the tube dropped the post in and Robert's your uncle. Did trim the excess out the top af tube with a stanley knife..... Worked a treat and wasn't visible.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I managed to put my saddle over an inch too high after servicing the bike. Some how I did not notice until a few rides later when both my knees hurt and also some muscle pain down one side. I was wondering what was going on until I checked the bike setup.

Now back to normal, pain is going and riding much more easily.
  • Two bolt seat post clamp. Bottom half clamps aRound the seat tube, top half around the seat post.
  • Matthewfalle
    I had a Gitane with Columbus tubing measuring internal dia seat tube v external dia seat post using a manual vernier caliper the same!
    After a reasonable ride notice the seat had dropped 2cms.
    After trying many different solutions my favourite and least damaging made up a sleeve out of a coke tin put it in the tube dropped the post in and Robert's your uncle. Did trim the excess out the top af tube with a stanley knife..... Worked a treat and wasn't visible.

its called a shim and has been used for decades.

Guinness cans are best for this purpose because Guinness is good for you and makes you strong.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.