Replacing creaking chainset - Specialized Roubaix

n1ckster
n1ckster Posts: 158
edited October 2017 in Workshop
Help!!

I have a constant creaking/clicking coming from the chainset of my Roubaix when pedalling. Its not my pedals, cleats or the bolts on the chainset.

The current chainset is a Turn Zayante by Praxis Works and the BB is a BB30 (specs here... https://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/rouba ... isc/106300 ).

I was thinking of installing an Ultegra chainset but have absolutely no idea about bottom bracket standards and compatibility.

What do I need to consider if I want to go down the Ultegra 6800 route?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Comments

• laguna
    laguna Posts: 24
    Friend of mine has the same bike and chainset with the creaking problem, a couple of his chainring bolt "barrel nuts" had hairline cracks in them. Check closely to see if yours are the same, his problem has now gone away with new bolts/nuts fitted. New set of Praxis ones are about £15.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Although it could be the chain set that is creaking, it is more than likely not. Swapping the chainset is an expensive way to find out that it is not the culprit.

Several other avenues should be explored first, including BB30 bearings and seatings (notorious for being creaky), especially if the bike has had a lot of wet rides. Other considerations include the already mentioned chainring bolts (fit with coppa slip grease), the chain, rear cassette (I just solved my annoying creaky problem after looking at everything except the cassette which turned out to be the cause). It was Shimano 11sp Ultegra, I removed it, cleaned it and put it back on, and hey presto - creaking gone.

It can be seat post, headset bearings, spokes, hubs, quick releases....the list is really long and it can be impossible to decide that the noise is definitely coming from the crank....

Good luck

PP