Tyres for tour of the black country

chippiechappie20
chippiechappie20 Posts: 24
edited October 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi, I have just got a Felt VR3 adventure road bike bike with 46/30 cranks and an 11 to 34 cassette. I have bought it for it to be a winter bike and for the tour of the black Country sportive next year. It is based on Paris to Roubaix and tour of Flinders I attempted it this year with 25c Continental grand prix 4 seasons tyres on my Trek Domane 4.5 disc and it just chewed my back tyre to bits after about 9 gravel sections there are 19 total on the sportive. I have put some Mavic Ksyrium pro allroad wheels on the Felt that can take to about 40c tyres. What tyres would you recommend for tour of the black Country? Any suggestions would very much appreciated.

Comments

• I have been using Schwalbe G-one allround. 35mm would be a good choice, they will handle gravel round there no problem and also hold speed on tarmac.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Yes something like that would be a good choice for the unpaved sections, possibly not the best if you want to "race" it as you'll lose some time - I accept not huge amounts but some - on the better roads but if you can live with that probably more enjoyable on a big 35mm gravel tyre. I do a lot of my riding on similar now.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Hi, thanks for the advice I'm not intending to race so I wouldn't be concerned with losing a little time. as I said I tried to do it last year I got as far as just before whitley court and I had to bail because it had totally wrecked my rear tyre so I had done about 75 % of it. What do you think about the panaracer gravel king sk tyres?