Trail lights

arix36
arix36 Posts: 67
edited October 2017 in MTB general
Hi i hope you can help me iam after some lights for riding my local forest trails. Something that won't cost the earth and give me good field of vision. Preferably and all in one unit not to into the idea of strapping a battery pack to my frame

Many thanks Anthony

Comments

• slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    arix36 wrote:
    Hi i hope you can help me iam after some lights for riding my local forest trails. Something that won't cost the earth and give me good field of vision. Preferably and all in one unit not to into the idea of strapping a battery pack to my frame

Many thanks Anthony

Hi Anthony,

I would suggest looking here: viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12807034&start=3360

There is a lot of information which is all pretty up to date.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    You'll be pushed to get a light without a separate battery pack fo a decent price, I'd be looking at the Exposure Diablo or Toro.....still £150+

I used the £10 eBay lights for 2 winters, absolutely fine, one on bars and one on helmet. Separate battery packs though. Now have Exposure, but am also now skint lol
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    My experience with cheap ebay lights is they illuminate brilliantly but they don't last that long. So, if your lights ate likely to get limited use and not face too much stress, they can be a good option. If you're using them a lot and they'll have to take a hammering, you might be better off spending a few bob.

And strapping a battery pack to your frame shouldn't be an issue. It works fine.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • arix36
    I've been recommend a Moon Meteor Storm Pro 1700 anyone else used these ?
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    My experience with cheap ebay lights is they illuminate brilliantly but they don't last that long. So, if your lights ate likely to get limited use and not face too much stress, they can be a good option. If you're using them a lot and they'll have to take a hammering, you might be better off spending a few bob.

And strapping a battery pack to your frame shouldn't be an issue. It works fine.

Mine are into their 3rd year now, so last pretty well.

But for £10 each even if they only last a year that's less than £1 per month.
  • arix36 wrote:
    I've been recommend a Moon Meteor Storm Pro 1700 anyone else used these ?

Thinking about one of these myself.

Anyone used one?
  • arix36
    Receved mine today just a quick test in the back garden seems quite impressive
  • arix36 wrote:
    Receved mine today just a quick test in the back garden seems quite impressive

The only concern I have with it after some online research was the beam might be a little narrow in comparison with some other lights?
  • arix36
    Well all I know is what ive seen in my garden so far and it lights up both fences
  • Cool. I might pick one up today.

Cheers
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I was considering some bar mounted lights yesterday pre-MTB ride as I only have a single "exposure Joystick Mk12" mounted on my head.

came to the conclusion last night in pitchblack nighttime woodland trails, with drops, berms, jumps, rocks, roots and typical trail centre obstacles, that I just dont need anything more

for £100ish you get a powerful beam of light that easily lights up a trail, weights 100g and lasted 2 hrs without running out

I dont need anything more ...... that said I will still buy a bar mount as a back up ... but I recomend the exposure, its the only light I used yesterday and didnt need or want any more light
  • arix36
    oxoman wrote:
    As FD says it's a good idea to always have a backup light on or off road. For trails / off road a cheapish Cree thing with a decent strength light on your helmet should be all you want.

Had been considering that what would you recommend as a sheepish crew thing there's a lot out there and ive no idea where to start ive a lot of horror stories about cheap Chinese on catching fire
  • Got the meteor storm pro. Just tried it in the garden. Looks pretty damned good to me (compared to my dive torch, which and a fairly confined beam). Will get to try it in anger on Thursday night at Glentress.

Only slight disappointment is that the batteries are not standard 18650's. They have both the positive and negative poles on the one end of the cell. Anyone got any idea if anyone else makes a battery that would work (other than moon)?
  • arix36
    Just been out for my evening road ride which is nearly all unlit country roads and o have to say its amazing brilliant long distance beam and lots up both sides of the road fantastically. Very pleased so far