Pumping bike and bike tread

v199629
v199629 Posts: 5
edited October 2017 in Workshop
I have 2 questions. Any advice will be appreciated.
1. I have a hybrid bike and does the direction of bike tread matters as it does not say on the wheel? Is it the best to have both wheels with 'V's'facing the front?

2. When I am pumping with a pump with a pressure gauge. Does the reading take into account of air already inside the wheel before? If it does not, do I stop pumping at a reading just below the recommended psi?

Thanks.

Comments

• andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    v199629 wrote:
    I have 2 questions. Any advice will be appreciated.
    1. I have a hybrid bike and does the direction of bike tread matters as it does not say on the wheel? Is it the best to have both wheels with 'V's'facing the front?

2. When I am pumping with a pump with a pressure gauge. Does the reading take into account of air already inside the wheel before? If it does not, do I stop pumping at a reading just below the recommended psi?
    1. It depends. I would suggest that on the back wheel have the V's facing backwards
    2. Yes, it does. Pressure depends on a lot of things. Ask Wiggle: https://guides.wiggle.co.uk/how-get-cor ... ycle-tyres
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    You should know that tread on road tyres ridden on the road doesn't really do very much. Tread on car tyres (on road) is for clearing standing water to prevent aquaplaning. Bikes don't (can't) aquaplane, so you don't need to worry about tread direction unless you're riding offroad or on gravel.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Tread is more for traction on loose surface. on the road the contact surface area is so small you have to be doing something silly like 200mph to have aquaplaning issues.

Pressure should take into account whats already in there, so when you attach the pump it should display the current pressure not the amount you have added. Use the guide AndCP linked.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Tractor tyres have the Vs facing forwards on the driven wheels, so I'd guess that's best for traction.

Well they are facing forwards at the top of the wheel anyway. By the time they get to the bottom they are pointing backwards :wink: